A 08-20-22 02:01 PM - Post#921328    

Bodyweight 178.0

BP: 2-3-4(+fail)@255, 2-3-3@255
Bat wing: 5x10s@24kg
Press: 3x2-3-5@24kg KB per hand
Complex: 5 rounds 2each@145
Squat: 95x10, 135x5, 185x3, 205x10, 185x50

Notes

Back in Boulder! We traveled all day on the 18th and spent yesterday attempting to unpack. I pushed PBJ and cottage cheese... the latter had frozen in our cooler on the way home and still hasn't thawed in the fridge, so was more like a cottage slushee. I'm trying to hold the line on food but it's TOUGH!

I woke up this AM feeling not great, tired with some digestive issues that had me in the bathroom a few times. I took my two scoops of protein and fish oil and headed out for a 6:30am start.

Workout Notes

I was all prepared to fly through these reps, but my shoulders felt worked even after warmup and the first set of 2 was hard. I failed on my fifth rep of the 5... but I was proud to get that far! That's what I get for skipping the doubles last workout and going straight to triples. That rep to failure made the next 2 and 3 tough. I legitimately went for it on the last set, but that 3rd rep was slowwwww and very tough, so I racked rather than try for a negative 4th rep.

KB presses also felt awkward, and it took a few sets to remind myself to rotate my shoulderblade back. When I do that well, the bell stays in the right place and doesn't roll over to hit bone. This is good feedback.

Complexes were also hard! I got the first three sets with a strict overhead press, then failed the first press on round 4 and backed off to push presses. Ouch.

Luckily my squat is grooved in now and felt great on the warmup, even with these ill omens leading up. The 205 set of 10 was tough but made the beginning of the 185 feel good.

It really made a difference being down here at 5k'. I was able to rest in the top position, especially with tight glutes to keep my lower back from fatiguing. I experimented with how long I was holding my breath... a long hold on the way up makes the squat more elastic but is way harder aerobically. If I sacrifice some tension for better breathing cadence, which I can do at this weight, then the higher reps become very manageable.

I finished out not feeling that bad here, but of course you can't avoid the rippling, not-quite-cramping discomfort after you unload the legs on a set of 50. I'm going to focus hard on stretching and recovery over the next couple of days to get myself physically prepared for the gut shot of 50 at 205...

I'm also thinking I'd like to test my deadlift and squat 1 or 2 rep max after this program, maybe with a buildup of a few weeks. Gotta get some numbers established before the mass drains off.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Home

What's New | Weekly Columns | Weight Training Tips
General Nutrition | Draper History | Mag Cover Shots | Magazine Articles | Bodybuilding Q&A | Bomber Talk | Workout FAQs
Privacy Policy