The kneesovertoesguy -
davedraper.com home Home
This forum is closed as of March 2023.
Display Name Post: The kneesovertoesguy
A 03-20-21 11:50 AM - Post#908960    

• Dan John Said:
Squatting on toes.

This is what we used to do. Remember, you can't really load up this exercise excessively. (Note: yes, an idiot can prove me wrong...3-2-1 Go!).

This is what Callum and most of the early books I read recommended. I used to do these just like I saw in the book, bodybuilding and self-defense, and the soreness was real.

Everything old is new again.

Can someone give me the 25cent tour of why I should get into this?

I believe that KOT (knees over toes) is to the knee joint complex what the swing is to the hinge.

His personal journey is interesting to be sure, but I'm not looking to dunk anytime soon. However, what his Mom is doing is more applicable to me.

My take away is this: Walking backwards (unloaded or loaded) along with the tibialis raise and the split squat are the foundational movements. If you want to get fancy, throw in the reverse stair step regressions.

So how have I incorporated all of this? For the split squat I just take the Stoney Stretch into parts unknown. I hold the bottom position and extend my knee over my toes of the lead leg and really flex the ankle of the back leg. After that I do the standing tibialis raise. I do some backwards walking as a cool-down. My neighbors have given up trying to figure out what I do anymore, so a few laps around my court is a decent finisher.

Eventually my plan is to use the slant board for squats and to get one of the tibialis raise devices.

To piggy-back on what Dan say's about what was once old is new again, incline board squats were suggested as a supplemental lift for powerlifters. Specifically to work the same area for the same reason...the VMO. (Granted, the suggestion was in the early 70's. But, like so many things, it got lost along the way. What was the real motivator for the incline squat was that it worked the VMO similar to the front squat but did not require the same degree of wrist and shoulder flexibility.)

As an aside, if you do some deep drilling on his YouTube videos there is one where he talks about total knee replacements that's rather sobering.

Mark it Zero.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Home

What's New | Weekly Columns | Weight Training Tips
General Nutrition | Draper History | Mag Cover Shots | Magazine Articles | Bodybuilding Q&A | Bomber Talk | Workout FAQs
Privacy Policy