Crossfitters need to choose, I think. -
davedraper.com home Home
This forum is closed as of March 2023.
Display Name Post: Crossfitters need to choose, I think.
A 06-14-20 02:34 AM - Post#899142    

• vegpedlr Said:
How popular is Crossfit really?

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=a ll&q=crossfit

The google trends for things like Starting Strength show a similar pattern. Interestingly, "weightlifting" and "running" etc show no decline. The interest in being physically active is fairly consistent over time, using this or that particular branded method - well, interest comes and goes.

The first crossfit opened in Australia in 2006, by 2014 there were 579 of them, it stayed 560-580 until the end of 2018, it's now 500. I'm just going on the affiliate listings on the HQ website. It was declining already, and the recession will accelerate that - Glassman's drunken ravings are just a little noise in that signal of the long tail of decline.

One of the issues crossfit has faced is that overall it's pretty whitebread - and middle-class whitebread at that. It's more like lacrosse or skiing than football (any code) or cricket or baseball. This has limited its growth, and whitebread middle class are very much followers of trends - they'll flock to you on your way up, and abandon you quickly on your way down.

Against that though is that internet dramas are irrelevant to most people. Talk to people going to crossfit gyms and half of them don't even know who Greg Glassman is, let alone any of the other people involved. They just go there to lift and run around and share pictures of their sweaty selves on Instagram.

Glassman may have your contempt, but like Lance Armstrong, he still has your money. Crossfit will go on - smaller than before, but still going.
Athletic Club East
Strength in numbers

Edited by Kyle Aaron on 06-14-20 02:45 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Home

What's New | Weekly Columns | Weight Training Tips
General Nutrition | Draper History | Mag Cover Shots | Magazine Articles | Bodybuilding Q&A | Bomber Talk | Workout FAQs
Privacy Policy