Strength training for endurance athletes -
davedraper.com home Home
This forum is closed as of March 2023.
Display Name Post: Strength training for endurance athletes
A 05-16-20 01:04 PM - Post#898126    

Thanks for posting that, it was good. I like Outside Magazine, but their technical articles are often lacking. Alex Hutchinson is good though.

I’ve spent a fair bit of time trying to learn more about concurrent training and interference since I would like to be both strong and fast. The study he discussed reflects my experience and reading. The potential for interference is real, but it comes mostly from volume and recovery. For instance, the experimental group did only five hours a week of endurance training. That’s not much by endurance athlete standards, but could reflect a lot of recreational athletes. The other study done on men is more reflective of serious endurance training, which was ten hours a week.

Ultimately, there are so many variables and individual variation that doing these studies is hard. One has to draw one’s own conclusions and test them out. For me, getting stronger has definitely helped, but it’s not a replacement for aerobic volume.

Regarding exercise selection, they might seem a little weird, but fairly common for endurance coaches. The partial squat reflects a pedal stroke, and unilateral work reflects the one legged nature of running and cycling.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Home

What's New | Weekly Columns | Weight Training Tips
General Nutrition | Draper History | Mag Cover Shots | Magazine Articles | Bodybuilding Q&A | Bomber Talk | Workout FAQs
Privacy Policy