All about Cholesterol: LDL, HDL, testing, lowering and more -
davedraper.com home Home
This forum is closed as of March 2023.
Display Name Post: All about Cholesterol: LDL, HDL, testing, lowering and more
A 01-14-05 02:01 PM - Post#65094    

John, I'm with you, but there is a causation / corellation question. Particularly if all of the cited studies used statin drugs. In a recent thread ("CRP on NPR") we discussed a report that cited studies that showed that statins also reduce inflammation and lowered risk independant of effect on cholesterol - so perhaps it is more important to watch markers of inflammation than LDL. I am not suggesting that we dismiss the statistical correlation between high LDL and heart disease. I am saying that nothing is settled until we have a theory that reconciles all the statistical data. This theory can not dismiss the statistics that indicate LDL is not causative.

Regarding HDL, how can we dismiss the fact that with HDL above 70-75, heart disease is almost unheard of, irrespective of LDL? If there was a drug or therapy that would raise HDL to these very high levels, that would be interesting to study.
The most important test a lifter has to pass
is the test of time.
-Jon Cole
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Home

What's New | Weekly Columns | Weight Training Tips
General Nutrition | Draper History | Mag Cover Shots | Magazine Articles | Bodybuilding Q&A | Bomber Talk | Workout FAQs
Privacy Policy