Latest and greatest version of ES/EES/40 day -
davedraper.com home Home
This forum is closed as of March 2023.
Display Name Post: Latest and greatest version of ES/EES/40 day
A 06-20-22 07:54 AM - Post#920020    

Thinking

So one of my hang ups about ES has always been the idea of something being heavy but easy. Because to me, heavy = hard, light = easy.

And I think, at least for me, this comes from the fact that when it comes to what you'd general refer to as push exercises, I am not explosive. At all. If I push to failure on bench, that last rep before failure can be, no joke, a fifteen second grind.

Which means, for instance, doing a single with a weight I can do a legit triple with is still, well, slow, and feels hard.

Now, for pulling stuff - really anything, from cleans to rows to pulldowns - I'm fairly explosive, and indeed, my perception of what's hard is different.

Which I kinda knew, but hadn't given much thought. But last week I worked up to a max in bench, and also for pulldowns.

Later in the week, I did work at percentages of that max and noticed that, boy, my perception of how hard the reps were at each level were very different. And this remained true even when I amramped. The reps were almost identical, the feeling was not.

Which after some experimenting was broadly consistent for me with the push pull stuff. I have this hunch that the difference between how people who are explosive on a lift naturally and those who aren't is a bigger difference than we often appreciate.

For instance - a lot of Wendler's recommendations for how much weight to use for supplemental work makes a lot more sense if you're someone who naturally pushes the bar as hard and fast as possible regardless of weight.

(Which also gets into Hatfield's CAT stuff.)

Dunno. But in any case, what I'm working on for the new couple months is what I'd guess you'd call a high frequency, low fatigue program (so, Easy Strengthish) with an emphasis on pushing as explosively as I can without being an idiot.

Too much of idiot, anyway.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Home

What's New | Weekly Columns | Weight Training Tips
General Nutrition | Draper History | Mag Cover Shots | Magazine Articles | Bodybuilding Q&A | Bomber Talk | Workout FAQs
Privacy Policy