Airdyne Related Help -
davedraper.com home Home
This forum is closed as of March 2023.
Display Name Post: Airdyne Related Help
A 02-10-21 03:41 PM - Post#907661    

For years, I have had a Schwinn Airdyne as a back up piece of cardio equipment at home. In the face of the ongoing pandemic, the Airdyne has taken center stage in my cardiovascular training.

My preferred cardio training was on a treadmill in the gym. While boring to many, it gave me the opportunity to set a speed and incline and live up to it.

The treadmill served as a personal pacer. If I was scheduled for a 4mph walk at a 15% incline for 30 minutes, all I had to do was set the machine. The only thing I had to do was keep up with it.

With the Airdyne, if I am feeling off, lazy, unmotivated, whatever, it is all too easy to just slow down. With the treadmill my rule was simple, set it and live with it. (The exception would be stopping if I felt sick or injured, which thankfully never happened.)

To wit, I do not know if I am pushing myself enough on the Airdyne. I am a person who likes standards.

I have not seen any age related standards for people my age - 61.

A couple of day ago, I did a 30 minute workout. The monitor showed 520 calories expended for that half an hour. I felt worked, but it did not compare to what I could get out of myself on the treadmill, at least not in terms of perceived exertion.

For those of you who have Airdyne/fan bike experience, what standards do you use? What is a good 30 minute goal? Any advice for people in my age range?

I am particularly interested in steady state work for 30 minutes. I have done intervals but that is not what I currently want to focus on. My Airdyne workouts are performed after my resistance training so I am already somewhat worked.

Any help is welcome.

Thank you in advance.

Stay Healthy, Stay Strong
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Home

What's New | Weekly Columns | Weight Training Tips
General Nutrition | Draper History | Mag Cover Shots | Magazine Articles | Bodybuilding Q&A | Bomber Talk | Workout FAQs
Privacy Policy