Leg hypertrophy from exercise bike -
davedraper.com home Home
This forum is closed as of March 2023.
Display Name Post: Leg hypertrophy from exercise bike
A 11-09-20 09:47 AM - Post#904393    

• John Mc Said:
My quads were pretty developed back when I use to ride a single speed mountain bike up hills. Geoffrey is right that you have to watch the knee shear, however that seemed less of an issue when you stood up on the pedals as opposed to staying seated. This type of riding would be more akin to a slow grind.

John Mc

Standing up you gain fore and aft mobility of the hips, the upper attachment of the load, so you can shift without even thinking about it to less shearing force to knees and more direct drive vertical drive to the pedals

• Armand Said:
Is the shearing force on the knees from slow rpm peddling at high resistance any different from the shearing force on the knees from heavy squats, lunges, leg presses,etc.?--Thanks.

I think so, yes. Squats etc you will shift your weight automatically to as advantageous a position as possible by moving torso forward and backward over feet. Sitting (not standing) on a bike, both torso and feet are locked in position and part of the cycle tends to put your knees into a shear force position in relation to the weight. As Armand mentioned, standing on the peddles alleviates this.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Home

What's New | Weekly Columns | Weight Training Tips
General Nutrition | Draper History | Mag Cover Shots | Magazine Articles | Bodybuilding Q&A | Bomber Talk | Workout FAQs
Privacy Policy