Schwinn Airdyne Question -
davedraper.com home Home
This forum is closed as of March 2023.
Display Name Post: Schwinn Airdyne Question
A 05-25-20 10:16 AM - Post#898464    

• Justin Jordan Said:
I suspect that the best way is going to be to compare heart rate and time. If you're cruising at, I dunno, 130 beats per minutes for half an hour doing one thing, then 130 per minute doing another is roughly equivalent.

Outside of a lab, that's probably the best you're going to comparing across machines/exercise.

This is probably right. They are going to be "roughly equivalent." I don't think it's going to be exactly equivalent because I think it is possible that you maximum heart rate may actually vary depending on the exercise. I know that sounds crazy: a maximum heart rate is, well, a maximum heart rate, right? But my maximum recorded heart rate on the Airdyne is higher than anything I have managed to produce during a run. The disparities weren't due to different recording devices, but conditions, such as fatigue, hydration, temperature, humidity, or even sheer will to max out could explain why I consistently have reached no higher than 183 when testing maxes on runs, but 189 (if memory serves) on the Airdyne. But maybe--and I really mean to sound tentative here--the fact that you are exerting with both arms and legs on the Airdyne could affect the maximum heart rate on that machine. The only point I am trying to make is that any comparison between different exercises (or to sound fancy, "exercise modalities") might only be approximate, as you note. But that is probably sufficient. I will finish by noting that my wife and I LOVE the Airdyne and are actually looking for a used one to put in her mother's house for our extended stays there. There is nothing like going all out on the Airdyne.
Why are you squatting in the curl rack?
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Home

What's New | Weekly Columns | Weight Training Tips
General Nutrition | Draper History | Mag Cover Shots | Magazine Articles | Bodybuilding Q&A | Bomber Talk | Workout FAQs
Privacy Policy