Deadlifts Aren't That Great -
davedraper.com home Home
This forum is closed as of March 2023.
Display Name Post: Deadlifts Aren't That Great
A 05-25-20 10:15 AM - Post#898463    

I always found the olympic lifts made me better at deadlifting than deadlifting did.

I'm working in snatch and clean and jerk again now that it's warm enough to lift on my platform in my shop. Now that I have this whole new perspective of movements instead of exercises it has become obvious how complete those 2 lifts are. It nails down hinge, squat, and pull. One could argue for press as well.

It's funny if you pull it apart, in my experience the quick lifts also made me better at squatting than just squatting did.

Really if you look at it, once you get to a decent level of proficiency the lifts are heavy enough to be light enough to 'easy strength' the hinge and squat movement. Frequent practice at sub-maximal loads of those movement patterns with the power dynamic thrown in. I'm trying a new thing now. I've done olympic lifts with no deadlifts, not even lift specific ones. It worked better. Now I'm trying olympic lifts with no extra squats. After reading up on a few top level lifters who would never squat more than they could clean (or max 110%) I realized that placing a big emphasis on my squat when I was competing probably held me back in the long run. My legs were always tired. If I could do it over again, better to keep the goal the goal and limit the squat as an accessory. I worried about it too much. It'll be a fun experiment.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Home

What's New | Weekly Columns | Weight Training Tips
General Nutrition | Draper History | Mag Cover Shots | Magazine Articles | Bodybuilding Q&A | Bomber Talk | Workout FAQs
Privacy Policy