Maffetone...and a clue -
davedraper.com home Home
This forum is closed as of March 2023.
Display Name Post: Maffetone...and a clue
A 03-19-20 11:45 AM - Post#895808    

• Browser Said:
Not to hijack, but is it universal around here that zero carb/keto improves blood work? I've never done orthodox keto, but I was pretty low carb for a couple of years and my blood work has improved since I reintroduced carbs (300g a day or so) even while gaining weight. This wasn't just one test, it's a three year trend.

I'm going to argue for nuance here, once again. As I tell my clients, there is "Keto" which seems to be synonymous with lots of red meat, sausage, cheese, etc. And then there is "a" ketogenic diet, here, referred to any diet which causes the body to produce ketones. And the spectrum of diets that cause the body to produce ketones in enormous.

My bloodwork was trending in a direction I didn't love last May, given my genetic deck. I first switched to a very low carb diet, then ultimately a ketogenic diet. But, I'm 80-90% pescatarian. I eat tons of fish, eggs, and veggies. I eat nuts and berries in moderation. I limit red meat and chicken, but might revisit that once I see my markers where I want them. I might also occasionally reintroduce carbs for the same reason.

But my point remains, the following 3 diets are all ketogenic:
1. Predominantly red meat and cheese
2. Soybean oil only
3. Fish, eggs, veggies, and nuts

The impact to bloodwork will likely be different.

Leo
ATC Fitness
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Home

What's New | Weekly Columns | Weight Training Tips
General Nutrition | Draper History | Mag Cover Shots | Magazine Articles | Bodybuilding Q&A | Bomber Talk | Workout FAQs
Privacy Policy