ES progression -
davedraper.com home Home
This forum is closed as of March 2023.
Display Name Post: ES progression
A 12-20-19 03:14 PM - Post#891615    

• Old Miler Said:
A couple of weeks ago on this forum, I asked Dan if it was OK to add an exercise and he said "fine". Specifically I spent 6 weeks doing ES squats, and have now moved to deadlifts, and was wondering if it was OK to keep doing one session of squats a week to maintain what I had built.

To be specific I'm doing them somewhat easy-strength style; just one day when I do up to ten reps, at a weight that feels heavy but not hard. Absolutely not grinding out 3 sets of 10, because that would make me sore for my running.

Likewise I'll probably move on to power-clean/front-squat in spring, but will try to one set of squats and one of deads each week to not lose whatever numbers I got up to.

+1 to this

After a year of ES-style training, that's one of the biggest things I discovered. Adding in that one extra squat/deadlift session per week (and not pushing it) helped me feel more "complete." It's more important for the squat than deadlift, I think.

Squats + Power Cleans has been my favorite combo for a while, but I think the sweet spot might be swapping out cleans for deadlifts one day per week. Probably on Day 5 so you get the next day off, and probably 5-3-2 reps.

When attempting those "modules" myself (I used the exact same word when asking a similar question on this forum 6 months or so ago), I gained some insight into recovery. ES does take a subtle toll on the body throughout the week. When adding in two days of 4 x 10 bench press sessions, it beat my shoulders up more than it increased my bench press. I think it's because you can recover from 5 days of ES in a week, but anything more will require more rest (boy that seems obvious now). So it went for me, at least. It's a balancing act, and I ultimately decided that if I wanted more aggressive gains, I'd be better off not screwing with ES and just choosing a tried-and-true program like MMS or 5x5.

Lord, this seems so obvious now. I've really got to quit overthinking this stuff.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Home

What's New | Weekly Columns | Weight Training Tips
General Nutrition | Draper History | Mag Cover Shots | Magazine Articles | Bodybuilding Q&A | Bomber Talk | Workout FAQs
Privacy Policy