Is there a program that teaches you how to get off the floor? -
davedraper.com home Home
This forum is closed as of March 2023.
Display Name Post: Is there a program that teaches you how to get off the floor?
A 11-13-19 08:01 AM - Post#890261    

Absolutely: strength training is a miracle worker. As is walking. Let me add a few things.

Taylor Lewis taught me a good thing years ago: I always focused on "fall breaking" or tumbling. He noted that I should also work on NOT falling with people. He called it Stumble Proof.

Here is a quick little series:

March in Place holding broomsticks (in the middle) with vigorous arm movements. IF the person can't do this without slapping themselves in the face, stay there. This was a game changer (like Six Point Rocks) in my THR recovery. It highlights asymmetries immediately. Address those as best you can.

Next, gentle speed skaters where you go laterally side to side (Lateral Skating in Place?) From there, teach the person to lead with ear. I might have an instagram video on this. With athletes, we hand them a ball and they hold it with the chin to the neck and it reveals all the former issues. (Pushing the problem). After we take the ball out: new athlete.

With the MIP and Skate work, SLOWER is better. Trying to pause on one foot WITH the ear lead is challenging balance.

Quick note: floss and brush on one foot. If possible, switch hands brushing and try to stand on one foot: this will surprise you.

Look up "Vertical Bird Dogs" and read my article on it for the next step.

Once the one legged stuff comes around, trying standing on one foot and touching that down foot with the opposite hand. Holding is the key: this is stumble proofing.

From there, go to my Youtube and watch "Get Back Ups." Add as appropriate.
Daniel John
Just handing down what I was handed down...

Make a Difference.
Live. Love. Laugh.
Balance work, rest, play and pray (enjoy beauty and solitude)
Sleep soundly. Drink Water. Eat veggies and protein. Walk.
Wear your seat belt. Don’t smoke. Floss your teeth.
Put weights overhead. Pick weights off the floor. Carry weights.
Reread great books. Say thank you
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Home

What's New | Weekly Columns | Weight Training Tips
General Nutrition | Draper History | Mag Cover Shots | Magazine Articles | Bodybuilding Q&A | Bomber Talk | Workout FAQs
Privacy Policy