Body Building for Olympic Lifting -
davedraper.com home Home
This forum is closed as of March 2023.
Display Name Post: Body Building for Olympic Lifting
A 05-27-14 08:53 PM - Post#803571    

The routine below and other matters are discussed in this interview.
Tommy Kono interview

Kono Course

• Quoting:
Here are the eight exercises that make up The Kono Course (I assume you are familiar with basic weightlifting exercises so an explanation of each is not provided):

(1) situps - 1 to 2 sets of 15 to 25 reps
(2) overhead press - 2 (later 3) sets of 8 to 12 reps
(3) upright rowing - 2 (later 3) sets of 8 to 12 reps
(4) bench press - 2 (later 3) sets of 8 to 12 reps
(5) bent over rowing - 2 (later 3) sets of 8 to 12 reps
(6) squats - 2 (gradually work up to 4) sets of 8 to 12 reps
(7) breathing pullover - alternate with squat exercise for 12 to 15 reps
(8) deadlift - 2 sets of 8 to 12 reps

Additional details of The Kono Course can be found in Mr. Kono’s book "Weightlifting, Olympic Style.

Mr Kono on Olympic style Deadlifts

Mr Kono on Olympic style Squats

It is best to buy the book for all the details. You can buy the book directly from Mr Kono's website

In brief though the routine above is alternated for six weeks with a routine of the same exercises but for 3-5 sets of 5 except situps...and then a cycle of Olympic lifts.

This is just like what Al explained that he did when alternating bodybuilding in the off season for his powerlifting...and as per Brian's recommendation of alternating blocks of time.

Leonid Taranenko interview where he explains how to do good mornings properly for weightlifting

• Quoting:
Taranenko: I do good mornings with the legs slightly bent. As you begin to lean over, you should feel the pressure (your balance, Ed.) near the hell of the foot. Begin to straighten up as soon as the pressure nears the ball of the foot. This is very important principle when doing this exercise. But, nobody ever things about it. It is very useful to have a strong back for weightlifting. When I was younger, I could lift more in the good morning exercise than in the snatch.

Cheers

JP
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Home

What's New | Weekly Columns | Weight Training Tips
General Nutrition | Draper History | Mag Cover Shots | Magazine Articles | Bodybuilding Q&A | Bomber Talk | Workout FAQs
Privacy Policy