Mind Gym: An Athletes Guide to Inner Excellence -
davedraper.com home Home
This forum is closed as of March 2023.
Display Name Post: Mind Gym: An Athletes Guide to Inner Excellence
A 12-16-13 08:20 AM - Post#789863    

I finished this last week, and enjoyed it. I could see some people complaining that: (1) everything seems pretty obvious, once you read it; and (2) that the book is really just a series of quotes from famous athletes.

But.

I liked it all the same. Sometimes there are things that you "know," but don't even really know you know until they are set down on paper in front of you. I for sure have been guilty of negative thinking in the past, particularly with things I am just starting out in or not super comfortable with. For example, my first track meet last July, all I could think about was the fact that the ring was wet and that I had never thrown off a ring with a cage around it. So all my inner talk was "don't slip, don't hit the cage." I slipped and hit the cage.

At the least, I think there are a few things that every athlete, including me, can take away from this book that will have a legitimately positive impact on performance.

And I found the quotes interesting, even if, as SB mentioned, the ones from many of the athletes quoted, including probably most prominently Alex Rodriguez, now have a slightly different context than when the book was written.

Edited by BrianBinVA on 12-16-13 08:22 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Home

What's New | Weekly Columns | Weight Training Tips
General Nutrition | Draper History | Mag Cover Shots | Magazine Articles | Bodybuilding Q&A | Bomber Talk | Workout FAQs
Privacy Policy