JoshV Training Log -
davedraper.com home Home
This forum is closed as of March 2023.
Display Name Post: JoshV Training Log
A 08-08-22 12:57 PM - Post#921020    

As I described in my "re"-introduction post I'm currently preparing to run a 15k Tough Mudder race next year, as such, regular running will be a part of my training plan. I'm currently 5'11" and about 250 pounds, definitely have some fat to lose, but also a decent amount of muscle underneath it. Since I am on the heavier side I plan on progressing my running distances good and slow. For my progression, I found a plan on a website by a guy named Hal Higdon, basically alternating from medium, short, long runs, gradually building up in length. I'm currently working on the 10k plan. After working through this once or twice, I'll work up to the 15k plan. Most of my running will be via treadmill, but I will try to escape out doors on occasion when able.

In addition to that, I've gained an appreciation for Dumbbell Cleans and Press from doing Dan John's Armor Building Complex leading up to my previous Tough Mudder 5K, something I've never really done much of before, but found I really enjoyed. I'm sure we all know of Dan's quote regarding cleans and presses now, and he's probably sick of hearing about it, but I've decided to embrace it for fun since I don't really have any sport specific strength training needs and they certainly won't make me weaker. My goal (initial at least) will be the Sig Klein challenge of performing 12 reps of 75# Dumbbell Cleans and Presses.

I'm not 100% sure on the actual specifics of how to perform a proper C&P by definition (I'm not worried about getting to into the weeds on definitions here) but I'll be performing mine by starting from a straight leg deadlift position, cleaning the dumbbells into a squat, standing and pausing just long enough so that the press is a strict press, not a push press.

I've been experimenting a bit with set/rep protocols and I decided to use Doug Hepburns method (Doug Hepburn inspired at least) 8X2-3 followed by 3X6. I'm still kind of experimenting with finding my working weight, so at the moment I'll just do 8X3 until I cannot get all 8 sets, at which point I'll begin the 8X2 adding a rep each workout. I like this protocol because it is simple (I really like simple or minimalistic style training) and auto-regulated. I'm not going to worry about progressing the three "pump" sets, I'll just stick to a weight 15-20# or so lighter then the "power" sets and always do 6 reps, something that feels challenging but doable. I've read that later Doug recommended not doing both the 8X3 and 3X6 in a single workout, but I believe he also advocated training two different movements per session. Since I'll be doing only one, I feel this should be ok. In any case, I'll let my body and recovery dictate.

For my routine, I'll just be alternating between running and weight days with a rest day in between each, so Day 1 - Run, Day 2 - Rest, Day 3 - C&P, Day 4- Rest, Day 5 - Run, etc. So far I've found this to be a good life/exercise balance. Many days I find myself motivated to skip the rest day and exercise again right away, but I feel keeping this rest days in place will be important in keeping the motivation level high.

As far as bodyweight is concerned, I won't be focusing on that at least for now. I'm just going to focus on progressing my training and let bodyweight/comp be dictated by that, eat to satisfy when hungry, and try to keep unhealthy stuff (sugar, alcohol, etc) to moderation.

In summary, my current goals are:
Running: Complete a run of 10k distance
Lifting: Clean and Press 75# Dumbbells for 12 reps.

Follow Up goals:
Running: Complete a 15k Run.
Lifting: Undecided
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Home

What's New | Weekly Columns | Weight Training Tips
General Nutrition | Draper History | Mag Cover Shots | Magazine Articles | Bodybuilding Q&A | Bomber Talk | Workout FAQs
Privacy Policy