Turning off your brain -
davedraper.com home Home
This forum is closed as of March 2023.
Display Name Post: Turning off your brain
A 09-27-21 11:23 PM - Post#913591    

Today a young woman at the gym who I have helped previously, asked why the rear delt work on the cables didn't feel like they were working as well as they could. I told her that she was not lining up the cables in a manner that kept her arms parallel to the floor but, most importantly she kept changing the angle in her elbows which engaged her triceps and took some resistance from the rear delts.

I have often told people at the gym who have asked for help that they must "turn off their brain". The brain wants to "help" a person and engage other muscles to assist. The brain wants to make the movement easier. In order to build as much muscle as they can, they must not allow the brain to share the stress. Isolation of the muscle being worked makes an exercise the most efficient.

Once she removed the elbow extension in the middle of the movement, she felt the rear delt receiving all the stress.
Judge John

"You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves." - Abraham Lincoln

"I live, I lift, I ache, I am." - Dave Draper

"Moderation assures mediocrity -- nice, safe. Mediocrity is for the mediocre -- simple, okay. The intense rule; the mediocre follow." - Dave Draper

Every day innocent plants are killed by vegetarians. Help stop the slaughter. EAT MEAT!
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Home

What's New | Weekly Columns | Weight Training Tips
General Nutrition | Draper History | Mag Cover Shots | Magazine Articles | Bodybuilding Q&A | Bomber Talk | Workout FAQs
Privacy Policy