Strength per pound -
davedraper.com home Home
This forum is closed as of March 2023.
Display Name Post: Strength per pound
A 12-02-19 09:16 PM - Post#890956    

It's especially crazy when you're older, in your 60's and such. Your whole system, being worn out in so many ways, just can't assimilate food the same as when you were a pup. It sure does get good at storing fat, though.

Anyhow . . . forget the old farts . . . for my money, I'd experiment with the minimal food intake needed to maintain both your current bodyweight AND the demands of your training layout.

I'd set up a routine that uses singles. I wouldn't do too many sets, just the minimal warmups to get to the singles. and not too many singles once I got there. Very few actually, but at a high intensity. Basically, try to limit the total volume (weight x sets x reps) as much as possible while still moving up your poundages on the singles. You're trying NOT to gain muscle but still gain strength. Also, leaning out can help. If you're carrying a considerable amount of body fat, you can shed that, harden up, get stronger on your chosen lifts and still put on some muscle without changing your scale weight. A lot of experimenting with your diet as well as your lifting approach. but yeah, the singles, and not too many of 'em. At all costs, if you're trying to avoid gaining weight, avoid any form of pump sets, grease the groove stuff, all of that. Avoid the pump as much as possible. There's not gonna be many sets of singles, so take good long rests between each of the few intense singles you're doing. You might want to split up your lifts so that you're lifting a few more times a week too. Not more sets, just more lifting sessions, quite small ones so you can have the energy needed to make poundage increases without eating too much.

People tend to go overboard when trying to get stronger, and wind up doing too many sets at too low an intensity, in my view. It doesn't take many sets, if they're intense enough, to trigger what's needed to gain strength.

Everybody . . . every body is different, though, and the one thing they have in common is that they're always, ALWAYS changing and varying back and forth over time.
Life's too short to worry about longevity.

Edited by Neander on 12-02-19 09:38 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Home

What's New | Weekly Columns | Weight Training Tips
General Nutrition | Draper History | Mag Cover Shots | Magazine Articles | Bodybuilding Q&A | Bomber Talk | Workout FAQs
Privacy Policy