A new post on ES -
davedraper.com home Home
This forum is closed as of March 2023.
Display Name Post: A new post on ES
A 11-28-19 05:15 PM - Post#890829    

For health, the waist to height ratio is important. But I am not assessing their health, I'm a doctor. I am assessing whether they are ready to run safely.

When talking about the risk:reward ratio of running, sheer weight is going to be more important. If you have 225lb pounding through your joints when you run, it's not a huge difference to hip, knee and lower back whether it's a jacked 225 or a sloppy 225. There's a reason distance runners of any level of accomplishment are not 225. But in terms of risk, there's a difference between 225 at 6ft and 225 at 5ft. The taller one will (assuming same previous level of training, ie none) carry more lean mass to drive them along each step and protect their joints. Thus: BMI.

I am writing a book for the beginner trainer or trainee. Let's say a guy comes to my gym who has squatted 500lbs, and wants to squat 600lbs, what do I do with him? I don't know, I haven't trained someone like that. But if a 60yo with osteoarthritis in her knees comes along, I know what to do with her. It's simply that I have not had any 500lb squatters wander in, but I have had a lot of older folk with arthritis wander in.

The 500lb squatter I will send down the road to the powerlifting gym where they've got dozens of them; I won't hurt the guy, but I probably won't help him much. And the arthritic older person they should send up the road to me; they would probably hurt the guy.

But which of the two is more common, which is the reader more likely to be, and which is the personal trainer more likely to work with? Most people are previously untrained beginners with 1-2 minor health problems, and some time in their 50s these become 1-2 major health problems, with 3-4 minor health problems to keep them company.

What do we do with them? The experienced trainer will know, and the experienced trainee will have figured some things out. But the new trainer, or the person going in the gym the first day, won't.

What is needed in fitness are clinical practice guidelines. "If this, do that." DJ has done well with his ideas of "patterning" movements and so on, of doing one movement well being the prerequisite to learning the next movement. But we can and should do more. There are things which every experienced trainer knows, but which are rarely written down. "I can't get deep." "Well, widen your stance." "Hey that worked!" And it goes beyond that.
Athletic Club East
Strength in numbers

Edited by Kyle Aaron on 11-28-19 06:08 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Home

What's New | Weekly Columns | Weight Training Tips
General Nutrition | Draper History | Mag Cover Shots | Magazine Articles | Bodybuilding Q&A | Bomber Talk | Workout FAQs
Privacy Policy