Intermittent Fasting -
davedraper.com home Home
This forum is closed as of March 2023.
Display Name Post: Intermittent Fasting
A 08-28-07 11:58 AM - Post#342747    

• ccrow Said:
  • Alan Aragon Said:
  • bulch Said:
Yet here we see that you can fast for 19 hours on a regular basis, keep or even gain strength and lose weight while improving your chances of having a 90th birthday.

Depends on the population you work with. Try to put competitive athletes on a 19/5hr fast/feed cycle. They won't be too damn competitive.

Alan, I am assuming you are speculating there, you haven't actually seen this happen have you? (Or have you?)

The IF pattern that's "trendy" right now is actually the common pattern athletes are on before they work with me to optimize their protocols. Same with business folks. Skip breakfast, halfass the lunch, huge dinner. Granted, this pattern is fine if you train in the evening and don't neglect preW (and/or midW) intake, then it's possible you can make it work.
  • Quote:
I think there are at least a few counterexamples out there. Since this IF has become a topic of discussion, a number of athletes have been mentioned who, as it turns out, eat something like this. Now in the past, they have always been considered the exception to the rule, succeeding in spite of their diets. But maybe they were onto something.

Like you said, in spite of - not because of.
  • Quote:
To pick an extreme example, I don't think it's likely an endurance athlete training four hours a day is going to be able to keep fueled up eating in a five hour window. Too much of their training will be too depleted.

Yup, not to mention the energy demands of endurance competitors can be up here in the 4-6000 kcal range. It wouldn't be practical to get all that in within 1-2 meals.
  • Quote:
But let's consider a powerlifter or weightlifter that trains for an hour a day, four days a week, who sits in a cubicle for the nine hours before their workout. Mix up a preworkout / during workout shake on the way out the door from work, and I doubt they'll hit the wall during their workout. Dinner and maybe a snack after the workout, and I think they can be pretty competitive.

I agree with you here, for the average guy who isn't necessarily competitive. But if an athete's management was paying me to tweak things to make this protocol optimal instead of just adequate, I would add one more simple mixed meal upon waking.
  • Quote:
Basically I don't think it's going to work out if the energy demands of your training are huge. For bodybuilders, the energy demands aren't huge, but they may need the constant stimulus of protein intake to spark anabolism. I could see how it might help bodybuilders one day a week, though.

(If golf was a sport that would be a perfect example, but it isn't.)

No disagreement here. And coincidentally, I'd rather play with myself than putz around with a golf club
AlanAragon.com

Edited by Alan Aragon on 08-28-07 12:00 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Home

What's New | Weekly Columns | Weight Training Tips
General Nutrition | Draper History | Mag Cover Shots | Magazine Articles | Bodybuilding Q&A | Bomber Talk | Workout FAQs
Privacy Policy