This gem from Dan Martin...money -
davedraper.com home Home
This forum is closed as of March 2023.
Display Name Post: This gem from Dan Martin...money
A 05-21-13 02:03 PM - Post#771682    

Great list!

I try to get a lot of this stuff done, one way or another.

Now the following is sort of a little more insight into the strange ways I train.

Maybe Dan John can shed a little light on this for me, because I don't think most people train this way. Or maybe they do?

Mornings I usually walk dogs, do joint mobility work and then alternate mornings of:

push-ups
pull-ups (or chins-I alternate these)
BW squats
spider crawls
barefoot walking (well, actually dragon walks barefoot on sidewalk)

I just get some reps in and play it by ear how many I do of each. Usually takes only about 10 minutes to do this stuff, not counting the dog walk.

I just get the movements done. Some days, of course, I ramp up the intensity more. It's all done by feel. But gradually things get ramped up.

The dog walk usually includes a few brief sprints with the dogs for maybe 70% sprint speed for 20 yards or so. The dogs like it and I let them sort of dictate the runs. My oldest dog is middle-aged, so it works out well for us both, ha ha!

On alternate days in the morning, after joint mobility:

I do tumbling drills like summersaults and cartwheels, etc. Again just 10 minutes or so.

On days that I don't get the dogs running a little, I might throw in some squat thrusts or lunge bounding in place or mountain climbers while I am waiting for my breakfast to cook.

Then breakfast is usually 3-4 eggs with chopped green onions or parsley or spinach and some heavy cream added and some chopped up ham or pastrami or roast beef. Mix it all up, pour in pan on low heat. Cover with lid.

Little bit later, flip, cover with lid turn stove off and let sit for a minute or so.

Top with some olive oil and Italian spices or I just use some bruschetta (tomatoes and spices)from Trader Joe's.

Wash down with some dark brewed Trader Joes breakfast tea with a teaspoon of honey and a small pat of butter and some heavy cream.

I make a bit of extra for my wife and set some coffee brewing for her. Most mornings I will also juice up some vegetables for her. I might drink some of this too.

My blood profiles are great, by the way.

Then, later in day as warm ups or cool downs I do getups, windmills, band wings or bat-wings, clutch-flags, ab wheel, duck walks, goat-belly-swing, bridging, etc.

I just try to get these various moves in and not all in the same warm-up or cool down. Usually 10 minutes is all it takes.

Then barbell and/or KB work for strength for two weeks. This part takes 10-20 minutes, usually just 2-3 lifts. Stretches after barbell work or later in evening I stretch.

Then conditioning stuff for two weeks.

Repeat.

I just sort of break things up and spread it around during the day. That way I don't have to try to get an hour long (or more) time block just to train. My day is sort of filled with short shots of "training".

I sort of approach it like manual labor. You have interludes of less intense work interspersed with periods of intense work. And you adapt to it.

So, I asked myself: "So why not do the same with training?"

So far it seems to be working out well.

I have done this sort of thing for a long time, pitching hay bales for a while, and then while waiting for the next wagon load I would do pull-ups on the rafters or squats. Or I would do cleans and presses in between changing mechanical-milkers and chasing the cows out of the barn.

Other jobs I would do the same, using break periods to get in brief (5-20 minutes) training sessions throughout the day. These were never long enough to tire me out for work but gave me mini-boosts, so to speak.

I would get all kinds of training done, like sprints, heavy bag work, speed bag work, heavy hammer for distance during lunch, push-ups, pull-ups,etc.

So, I could accomplish a lot throughout the day and still recover from it. Then when you get home you can address the more serious lifting.

I guess this is how I was able to cover so much ground as far as training implements and movements and still recover from it. No one session was so long or intense I couldn't do more later.

After a while your body adapts and you can push the intensity or volume up on days where you have a little more time. So it also has built in volume or intensity ramps due to the time factors. You just can't get all that jacked up in a 5 minute training session.

Usually on a 10 or 15 minute break I would train for 5-8 minutes and then eat something right after. Usually a protein drink with berries mixed in.

On a 30 minute lunch break I would train 10-20 minutes (it varied) and then eat.

Then the main training of heavier lifts was done before I went home or immediately after I got home. I usually ate something between every training session.

I guess every little session is sort of an easy strength or easy conditioning type workout.

Sort of weird I guess, but I've been doing this sort of thing for almost my entire life. Good or bad?

I don't know, but it works well for me. My body is sort of always "greased" with nearly any move you can think of. I pick up new moves fast, well, because for me, it's not really all that new. I've done something, at some point, that is very similar, so my body just seems to "know" what to do pretty quick.

But I started doing a lot of this sort of thing as a kid. So I guess it is sort of hard-wired into my CNS now. This sort of training probably wouldn't work for everyone. I guess I have a lot, and I mean "A LOT" of accumulation or exposure under my belt.

Just some rambling thoughts that might not mean much...

Edited by Walter J. on 05-21-13 02:07 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Home

What's New | Weekly Columns | Weight Training Tips
General Nutrition | Draper History | Mag Cover Shots | Magazine Articles | Bodybuilding Q&A | Bomber Talk | Workout FAQs
Privacy Policy