Gladwell talking about Bud Winter -
davedraper.com home Home
This forum is closed as of March 2023.
Display Name Post: Gladwell talking about Bud Winter
A 01-10-23 01:11 AM - Post#924226    

My wife and I started watching Limitless with Chris Hemsworth on Disney.

I’m not sure that we we’re watching it for quite the same reasons, but hey….

I took particular note of the episode on cold water immersion and using breathing to control your gasp reflex when that first shock of cold water hits. He suggests starting with turning your shower to cold for 30-60 secs at the end of each shower. I’ve progressed to having cold showers.

The bit that’s really interesting for me is the idea of using cold immersion as an adjunct to practicing breathing techniques. Controlling your breathing is one thing, doing it and then stepping into cold water is a level up.

Kind of like the story about the zen monk and the samurai. The zen monk is sitting in a lotus pose meditating and says to the samurai “you should learn to meditate to find stillness…” so the samurai pushes him over…. I understand the idea to be that it’s one thing to find stillness amongst stillness or to practice breathing techniques when there’s nothing else going on, it’s harder when someone’s pushing you.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Home

What's New | Weekly Columns | Weight Training Tips
General Nutrition | Draper History | Mag Cover Shots | Magazine Articles | Bodybuilding Q&A | Bomber Talk | Workout FAQs
Privacy Policy