Bodyweight 178.2

BP: warmup then 2x2-3-5@240
Bat wing: 24kg in one hand, 16kg in the other, 3 sets with each combo
Press: 2x2-3-5@24kg KB per hand
Bird dog: 3x6 reps, slow
Complex: 5 rounds of 2@each: 145
Squat: 95x10, 135x5, 185x10, 205x50

Notes

I got the big set! MAN, that was a tough one. More on that in a moment.

The eating part of this program has felt a lot tougher the past the past few days. I am staying on the path but it's a slog. I'm holding the line until the end, but I found myself letting the chaos of the twins' schedule get in the way of eating, probably on purpose a bit. But I'm still slowly climbing up in weight, so something's sticking.

OH, I watched a strict press technique video that made the very sensible point that you want your hands close enought that your forearms are vertical in the racked position. I had always set up in the clean position. I tried this new position on my "rest day", whoops, and got a 165 pound press, a PR and a bodyweight press at my bodyweight BEFORE starting this program. That doesn't quite count :)

I'm not flexible enough overhead yet and this was a wakeup call to really prioritize the dislocates, which I've done each day since.

Workout Notes

Bench press was hard on the 5 rep set, but felt similar to the 3 rep set last time. I made sure to take a slight rest in the locked out position after reps 2 and 3 in anticipation and this turned out fine.

I still can't one arm press the bigger bell, so stuck with my 24kg. The babies woke up at this point so I brought the bell upstairs and bottle fed the babies between sets.

Complexes were hard but doable with the technique focus on presses of tight butt and head pushed through as early as possible. On the first set I tried to adjust my hands closer, then farther apart for the back squat... NOT a good plan, I think, since it breaks the flow so much.

For the back squats, I tried to absorb my technique points from last time. I stayed centered over my feet and focused on a slight lead with my chest out of the hole (knowing that this would cancel the butt movement vs actually causing me to lead).

On my warmups I brought my hands out an inch or so on each side to take some pressure off of my wrist... but for the big set decided NOT to do this and focused on squeezing my shoulderblades together tightly before racking. I AM SO GLAD I DID THIS.

I engaged in some serious self negotiation. Just get to 30 then re-evaluate. The first 20 reps went about like the previous workout. Then singles with a breath or two up to 27... at this point my lower back was feeling good, thanks to the technique tips. I REALLY focused on getting my hips forward during the "rest", and the bar sunk quite deep into the rack position.

at 31 my back was good, and I wasn't in aerobic distress, so I imagined the shame of writing that in this report and knocked out reps to 35. Well, at that point I had to get to 40. Now my forearms were falling asleep and I had to be quite precise about each rest. At 40 I renegotiated. I could just FINISH this thing out and not wonder anymore... my technique got a little sloppy since I could see the finish and felt an urge to rush reps. I kept it in check; I knew if I slipped deeper into the rack position I might have to quit, so stayed tight there and just dealt with my tingling forearms.

Good full depth the whole way, I'm proud to say... and I got a full dose, racking after 50 and lying down in solid, lovely aerobic distress.

The full set took ~4 minutes!

I'm happy I boosted up to Heavy MMS! I feel a MILD temptation to go up another weight class... but this is probably not helpful for the goals of this program.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Home

What's New | Weekly Columns | Weight Training Tips
General Nutrition | Draper History | Mag Cover Shots | Magazine Articles | Bodybuilding Q&A | Bomber Talk | Workout FAQs
Privacy Policy