Weekly Training Goals vs Daily Workouts -
davedraper.com home Home
This forum is closed as of March 2023.
Display Name Post: Weekly Training Goals vs Daily Workouts
A 12-22-21 09:30 AM - Post#915571    

• iPood Said:

Improvised lifting (now a couple of singles, later maybe ten rep sets…), natural rest periods (from a few seconds to several hours between sets), and no warm ups… This is as close to manual labor as it gets. And that’s the kind of relentless strength and work capacity I love.

There’s a caveat, though: load must be kept on the easy-ish side of things, so you may avoid warm ups. A couple of minutes of OS stuff was all I needed to make the transition from my work desk to my training area.

I truly enjoy reading your posts, Jordan.

Yes there definitely is the load limitation.

I think as you train and adapt the body really does adapt in every way. If you are used to 45 minute warmups with 5-10 minutes rest between sets then jumping in cold is not going to feel 'right'. For the sake of time over the years I got really used to making big jumps in weight to get up to working weights quickly and that just seemed to snowball to the point I could spend 1 minute doing a short complex, one or two warmup sets and go. It was one of the good carry overs from my time in crossfit. Competitions would often have weight events like "Find max snatch in 10 minutes" or something like that. You need to know how to get there very quickly so you can maximize your time making actual attempts vs warming up. If I can warmup in 2 minutes and hit 90% before 5 minutes then I have another 5 minutes to go for 100+.

But I think a fluid routine like this really lends itself well to kettlebells or weighted bodyweight work. I wouldn't try this with heavy barbell moves.

Thanks for the compliment! I'm glad to have found such a good community of like minded people. The discussions on this forum have really changed my life.

I also think I recall Greasy Strength. So I'll credit this to you, cause that's probably where the seed of this idea started for me.

• Upwind Said:
I'm a little surprised no one's mentioned this yet:
https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/the-one-lift -a-day-program/

Well, I did reference this in my original post. The one lift a day program was my inspiration for how this would work. In order for something fluid like this to work you need really low buy in and not a lot of moving parts. Trying to make a 3 day a week olympic lifting routine with main lift, supplemental and accessory exercises work on this kind of routine would be a disaster.

The fluidity also makes it, by nature, no longer one lift a day. So... you're not doing the program ha ha.

This is going to be my working routine for the next while. I'll keep overall work completed throughout the week updated in a simple spreadsheet. I'll just use Dan's favorite tests plus a yes/no for work completed for overall effectiveness of the routine.

3 data points:
1. Standing long jump. After the recent standing long jump post was resurrected I actually tested it out in my basement. 92" was my best jump, so that's pretty fresh.
2. Farmers walk for distance. Don't have a baseline for this but I'll do it this week. It will be with kettlebells though, don't have a trap bar.
3. Consistency. Did I actually get all the work done each week.
(4). A general comment on lift improvement. I feel this is moot for me though so it's a side bar. I'm not setting any lifetime PR's and I know that. A lot of 'gains' I would make would be influenced by my training history and not indicative of the gains people with different training histories could make.

Based on what I gravitated towards last week my lifts will be:
One Arm KB Press, Front Squat (barbell), Pull-ups, Heavy KB Swings, Dips, One Arm KB Rows. All lifts will be 5x5 except KB swings will be 5x10. Sets will be done however I feel, straight across, waved, pyramid, whatever works. Front squats will be cleaned from the floor. I wanted to do overhead squats but ceilings...

If I make it 6 weeks I'll test and do a check in. Maybe I'll try to check in once in a while on this post to keep motivation high.

Thanks for all the interest in this everyone! I really think there is something here.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Home

What's New | Weekly Columns | Weight Training Tips
General Nutrition | Draper History | Mag Cover Shots | Magazine Articles | Bodybuilding Q&A | Bomber Talk | Workout FAQs
Privacy Policy