I shall Escape from Alcatraz aka I'm going to be a triathete? -
davedraper.com home Home
This forum is closed as of March 2023.
Display Name Post: I shall Escape from Alcatraz aka I'm going to be a triathete?
A 11-01-21 06:31 PM - Post#914396    

I drew a lottery spot in the June 2022 Escape from Alcatraz triathlon. You can guess where the swim starts (from a boat just off the island.)

My last triathlon was an Ironman distance 25 years ago. I probably wouldn't get out of bed to do a non-descript tri, but this is a bucket list type of race that I first read about 30 years ago. I thought it was incredibly cool then. I still do, and since I'm on the West Coast only for another year or two, I decided to enter.

It's a 1.5 mile swim (that can be longer due to current or can be relatively fast due to currents. And the water is cold and can be choppy with swells.) Bike is a hilly 18 miles around San Francisco and run is a hilly 8 miles.

I'll really need to work on my swim because I don't want to get pulled from the water by the safety boat. The bike and run aren't daunting but will require training. I don't even currently own a road/tri bike.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Home

What's New | Weekly Columns | Weight Training Tips
General Nutrition | Draper History | Mag Cover Shots | Magazine Articles | Bodybuilding Q&A | Bomber Talk | Workout FAQs
Privacy Policy