Unexpected place for a pivot discussion -
davedraper.com home Home
This forum is closed as of March 2023.
Display Name Post: Unexpected place for a pivot discussion
A 09-03-21 02:41 AM - Post#913040    

• Justin Jordan Said:
I suspect, but cannot prove, that if you can walk (actually walk, not jog or run) 3 miles in 45 minutes you're probably as cardio vascularly fit as you'd ever need to be.

I think you're correct. That's basically a "1" score, the equivalent of deadlifting your bodyweight or jumping a yard. The 25-50% of WR zone is where health is.

• Justin Jordan Said:
The problem with a 5K run as a test is that if you don't want to run, you're not getting a good time on it - if you can even manage it at all. You can have a decent, by Kyle's standards, deadlift and broad jump without training for the test.

You can if you're active. I've trained a lot of people from sedentary, and as I said, some will get in the lower end of the 25-50% zone on one of the three, but nobody on all three.

If someone walks everywhere at a brisk walk doing your 3 miles in 45' regularly, that person could do a walk/jog of under 30'. Likewise, if the person did a lot of yard work with hand tools, or did some sort of manual labour, when they got in the gym they'd certainly be able to deadlift more than their bodyweight.

Likewise if you had some person do Prince Phillip's daily walk and bodyweight exercises we were talking about a while back, that person would easily hit the 25-50%, at least until 60yo or so when their good or bad genetics have a chance to show up.

This reminds me a bit of a discussion here a year or two back where there was a lifter in his 70s saying, "hey, just teach yourself the snatch." People did this up to about 1980 or so - now, they don't. DJ had some piece about this, I think it was the Geezer Advantage article, about how if you're a certain age, in school you vaulted pommel horses and climbed ropes and did situps with medicine balls and kicked balls and threw balls and went for a run and - but if you're under that age, you sat at a computer.

If you've been active for your lifetime you sometimes don't realise what an advantage that is in dealing with physical challenges, compared to the person who's been sedentary.

There was a study a while back where they asked the doctors in a state to look at pictures of kids and put them in the BMI categories of "overweight", "obese" and so on, just visually. The doctors assessed the overweight kids as normal, and the obese ones as merely overweight. It's just that they were so used to seeing big kids their idea of "normal" had changed.

It can happen the other way. If you've been active for a lifetime, chances are a lot of your family and friends are, too. And then you don't realise that deadlifting bodyweight would be a significant challenge for most people they'd actually have to train for, and - walking 3 miles in 45 minutes? Why would you walk 3 miles, that's what the car is for!

Walking 3 miles in under an hour, deadlifting your bodyweight and jumping a yard isn't much to an active person, but it's a huge deal to a sedentary person.

In the modern West, it's actually an achievement to be physically active for decades on end. Being physically active in the First World is like having a personal library of 500 books in the Third World.

Don't underestimate your achievements, guys.
Athletic Club East
Strength in numbers
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Home

What's New | Weekly Columns | Weight Training Tips
General Nutrition | Draper History | Mag Cover Shots | Magazine Articles | Bodybuilding Q&A | Bomber Talk | Workout FAQs
Privacy Policy