Herniated Disk -
davedraper.com home Home
This forum is closed as of March 2023.
Display Name Post: Herniated Disk
A 08-25-21 08:40 AM - Post#912808    

Never confirmed that it was a herniation, but I have a recurring lower back issue. Hurt it the first time deadlifting about 20 years ago and it pops up now and again. I've continued to successfully lift heavy though and have found these three things to be most important (for me):

1. Brace Brace Brace. Learn how to brace properly anytime the spine is loaded. It is way more than just 'getting tight'.

2. Spine should be neutral-NOT EXTENDED OR ARCHED-when under load. Whenever my lower back feels tight or just 'off' but not injured, it's usually because I'm extended or arching my lower back too much on squats.

2. Monitor work load and recovery very closely. Most of the time now when my back goes out it is simply because I'm loading it too much.
"The trouble about always trying to preserve the health of the body is that it is so difficult to do without destroying the health of the mind."~GK Chesterton
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Home

What's New | Weekly Columns | Weight Training Tips
General Nutrition | Draper History | Mag Cover Shots | Magazine Articles | Bodybuilding Q&A | Bomber Talk | Workout FAQs
Privacy Policy