Herniated Disk -
davedraper.com home Home
This forum is closed as of March 2023.
Display Name Post: Herniated Disk
A 08-23-21 09:36 AM - Post#912783    

First of all, if you did not have a MRI, the diagnosis is a "most probable cause," not a certainty. I found this out the hard way over the past year when I wasted several painful months trying to fix what had been diagnosed as a herniated disc by my doctor, QL/medial glute strain by my chiropractor, and piriformis syndrome by an active release therapist. Turned out to be a cyst leaning on a nerve between my L4 and L5. A MRI made the culprit obvious.

Admittedly, cysts are unusual though. Typically, a course of prednisone (or prescription anti-inflammatory), coupled with a med for spasms, has resolved lower back strains and sciatica for me. So have chiropractic adjustments. Once out of the acute stage, using the McKenzie Method exercises ( https://spineone.com/mckenzie-method-back- pain/ ) seemed to accelerate healing.

Until experiencing the problem noted above, I was always back to training within a month. Since herniated/bulging discs often self correct (retract) in four to six weeks if you don't aggravate the injury, I sometimes wonder if it was not meds/chiro/rehab, but staying out of the gym that healed me.

For you and anyone else interested in troubleshooting and rehabbing lower back problems, I highly recommend purchasing Dr. McGill's Back Mechanic. Pure gold.
Be strong. Be in shape. Be a man among men, regardless of your age or circumstances.

Edited by AAnnunz on 08-23-21 05:21 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Home

What's New | Weekly Columns | Weight Training Tips
General Nutrition | Draper History | Mag Cover Shots | Magazine Articles | Bodybuilding Q&A | Bomber Talk | Workout FAQs
Privacy Policy