Hip Mechanics and Squats -
davedraper.com home Home
This forum is closed as of March 2023.
Display Name Post: Hip Mechanics and Squats
A 05-25-21 08:09 AM - Post#910620    

Not sure if this is the right forum for this question.

I have a severe mobility restriction in one of my hips. Flexion, extension, and internal rotation are okay, but external rotation is about 30% of normal. It's a struggle to cross my legs and put that ankle on the other knee. I've done PT, stretching, etc. for years and nothing has ever made the slightest improvement - it would take surgery to make a difference.

So since there's no external rotation there, when I squat with a moderate or wider stance, or try to sumo deadlift, my spine twists in the direction of that hip. Twisting your spine under an axial load is obviously very bad and I've got the blown discs to show it.

But it seems like if I take a very narrow stance, with heels elevated significantly since my ankle mobility ain't so hot either, then I can squat 'ass to grass' as they say while remaining bolt upright and without twisting or shifting. Similarly, a narrow deadlift stance (if I ever deadlift again) actually makes more sense than sumo, in my head, even though I've seen a lot of guys who develop back issues adopt sumo instead of conventional.

It makes sense to me that since there's no mobility in the hip, the body is going to find it elsewhere - that's how I got injured in the first place. But rather than get the "missing" mobility from the spine, I can get it from the ankles.

What am I missing? Any thoughts? I am kind of thinking out loud with this post.

Edited by Rupert J. Nebblesworth III on 05-25-21 08:10 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Home

What's New | Weekly Columns | Weight Training Tips
General Nutrition | Draper History | Mag Cover Shots | Magazine Articles | Bodybuilding Q&A | Bomber Talk | Workout FAQs
Privacy Policy