Surviving/breaking a fall -
davedraper.com home Home
This forum is closed as of March 2023.
Display Name Post: Surviving/breaking a fall
A 03-04-21 10:50 AM - Post#908483    

Aikido may not be a very good form for actual fighting but it is great movement training. The sensei I trained under for several years put huge emphasis on protecting yourself in all positions, at all angles, and in every variety of motion.

30 years later, after essentially no further training or practice, I was helping load a very heavy milk/cream separator onto the roof of a friends pickup truck. We lost the balance and it went down hard and fast. I did not let go fast enough and did a full flight superman crash over the roof of the truck, yanked there by my hand being connected to all the falling weight. Managed to land in a perfect front roll and back up to my feet, not even a scratch or a bruise. I got a round of applause from everyone there.

Month or two ago, there was light dusting of snow over black ice on a sloping section of sidewalk where I was walking. Not at a run but pretty much duplicated the dynamics of the fall in the OP. Several times actually, before I could get to solid footing. Again no real injuries though my neck was a bit sore from sudden "overuse" keeping my head from bonking the ground.

Made me realize how important this issue is and that I need to get back to it. Planning in next few weeks to start some serious "ground work" rolling and tumbling practice, toned down to suit my aged carcass. Have already been doing neck/wrestlers' bridges in smallish doses to somewhat whiplash proof my neck. Other benefits as well of course
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Home

What's New | Weekly Columns | Weight Training Tips
General Nutrition | Draper History | Mag Cover Shots | Magazine Articles | Bodybuilding Q&A | Bomber Talk | Workout FAQs
Privacy Policy