Stuart McGill Speaking in a CBC News Article -
davedraper.com home Home
This forum is closed as of March 2023.
Display Name Post: Stuart McGill Speaking in a CBC News Article
A 02-12-21 10:09 AM - Post#907707    

• h&t Said:
Yes but how does one know what's tight and what's loose? Serious question and this is the crux of my original issue with McGill.
I don't need to do splits, but I'd like to be able to do basic staff and more for a couple more decades.

I have studied almost all of McGill's stuff including his Ultimate Back Health text book and I see where you are coming from. I think he is on target most of the time, but you really have to study the nuances of what he is saying. The biggest thing I have learned from his writing is that not everyone's back pain is due to the same cause, so the right treatment or maintenance is different for everyone. I think that message gets lost in translation or isn't communicated clearly in some of his individual articles.
Personally, doing some gentle spinal mobility work has made me feel much better. As long as I don't force excessive range of motion in the lumbar spine, my back feels better most of the time. He does spent a lot of time arguing against stretching so I think it could be helpful if he talked a little more about how and when stretching might be helpful for certain conditions.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Home

What's New | Weekly Columns | Weight Training Tips
General Nutrition | Draper History | Mag Cover Shots | Magazine Articles | Bodybuilding Q&A | Bomber Talk | Workout FAQs
Privacy Policy