Stuart McGill Speaking in a CBC News Article -
davedraper.com home Home
This forum is closed as of March 2023.
Display Name Post: Stuart McGill Speaking in a CBC News Article
A 02-10-21 05:13 PM - Post#907662    

• Ricky01 Said:
I have found (and this is not to say it applies to everyone nor is it groundbreaking stuff), that due to sitting/inactivity etc we are weak in our anterior chain in a lengthened position eg and weak in our posterior chain in a fully constructed position.

An example of this is hip extension (standing up straight after sitting).

The focus when we have issues like this is to stretch things - an example is stretching the pec/delt tie in b/c we think our pecs are tight. No amount of stretching is really going to improve our posture etc unless we have the strength in the opposing muscles to pull us into good body positions.

Anyway....was that starting to sound rant like?? Apologies.

Richard

Yes! And maybe what’s really important is the change in relative tone/strength between two opposing muscle groups. I rarely stretch my pecs now but I do a lot of work on TRX I’s/Y’s/T’s, etc that I find loosens up my pecs far more effectively. I do stretch my hammies but always combined with lying hip bridges to loosen off my hip flexors. It’s the relative balance that seems to me to be critical.

That might be the bit (of Janda?) I missed for about 3 decades - stretch what’s tight AND strengthen what’s weak.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Home

What's New | Weekly Columns | Weight Training Tips
General Nutrition | Draper History | Mag Cover Shots | Magazine Articles | Bodybuilding Q&A | Bomber Talk | Workout FAQs
Privacy Policy