Calf and Achilles strength standards -
davedraper.com home Home
This forum is closed as of March 2023.
Display Name Post: Calf and Achilles strength standards
A 11-17-20 03:15 PM - Post#904685    

• Jordan D Said:

• 12bernd Said:
Has anyone gone hard on both calf training and loaded carries? I am curious how Dan John's idea about a farmer walk with 1xBW and 2xBW compares. Lets say you do them for 40 yards. That's lots of half-rep calf raises with lot's of weight.

On one hand, a step isn't a full contraction. I've done a lot of this, but it's never benefitted me. It makes me think of dancers/ballerinas who have monstrous calf strength. But then again, it also makes me think of all the coal miners I knew growing up who had giant calves from tromping up and down deep mines all day.

Yeah, in itself a set of heavy farmer walks is probably not that great for your calf muscles. I was thinking more about the long term benefits of treating loaded carries like a main lift.

• Old Miler Said:
  • 12bernd Said:

At the gym I can easily use the whole 140kg stack for two legged standing calf raises.

Hey, I remember that machine from my youth! And you are right, I played that game too, it was one of the few machines I could impress on. Funny, I haven't seen one of them in decades. I guess it's just easy to replicate one legged anywhere, or two-legged on a Smith.

Can't wait for my gym to reopen so I can crush the one legged calf raises with that machine :D But doing a slow 3sec up and down gives me a good burn with unweighted ones on my stairs after rep 20-25 or so. So it might take a while until I can move the whole weight stack ;)
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Home

What's New | Weekly Columns | Weight Training Tips
General Nutrition | Draper History | Mag Cover Shots | Magazine Articles | Bodybuilding Q&A | Bomber Talk | Workout FAQs
Privacy Policy