Stuff That Works -
davedraper.com home Home
This forum is closed as of March 2023.
Display Name Post: Stuff That Works
A 09-11-20 03:17 PM - Post#902305    

I took fish oil for years. It was easily my most consistent supplement for around 8 years. Then, in a ruthless experiment of minimalism I started cutting things in and out to see what actually made a difference and how little I could get away with.

Turns out fish oil was the source of increasing dizziness and vertigo for me. I cringe at all the money I wasted on it for so long.

This is my short list, since I'm in a phase of rediscovering what works and what doesn't right now. These are the tried and true for me though:

1. Calisthenics. Not the high level gymnastic skill progressions and levers. Just the basics.

2. Kettlebells. Again, the basics. Squat, push, pull, swing, carry. It can all be done with a ball of iron. Maybe it's just filling in all the gaps from years of mostly barbells, but it really seems to be building a same but different kind of strength than I had with barbells - as it applies to everyday walk around strength that is.

3. Barbell Deadlifts (Power Cleans preferred when possible). This may be the best bang for buck barbell movement for me and the last one I still occasionally practice. Done easy strength style with double overhand it's the best way to still get the feel of heavy lifting and avoid the burnout. Squats are just way more taxing.

4. Sauna. I have plans to build a wood fired sauna in my backyard. Once I have the expendable income this is definitely happening. There is no recovery modality that even comes close to a sauna (except for sleep). There's also something decidedly romantic and mentally relaxing about using a sauna in cold canadian winters.

5. Hockey (sport in general). A game of hockey a week in the winter (sep to april) keeps me sane. There's something about taking what is essentially HIIT training, adding a competitive skill element to it (or rather several), and getting together with a bunch of friends that makes playing sports way more fun and refreshing than 'exercising'. I would love to get into a summer sport, but summer has enough of it's own hustle to it already.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Home

What's New | Weekly Columns | Weight Training Tips
General Nutrition | Draper History | Mag Cover Shots | Magazine Articles | Bodybuilding Q&A | Bomber Talk | Workout FAQs
Privacy Policy