Switching pressing exercises -
davedraper.com home Home
This forum is closed as of March 2023.
Display Name Post: Switching pressing exercises
A 07-11-20 01:20 PM - Post#900201    

• iPood Said:
But most people frequently complain about a sharp sternum pain and a myriad of shoulder issues.

Know it well. It went away after about two weeks of dips when I was 14, and whenever I re-integrate them nowadays, it goes away after about two workouts. I think a lot of bodyweight movements provide similar feedback, because they depend on the integrity of the musculoskeletal system before they can be progressed. Back bridges, for example, which can be "dangerous" for the lower back, but only if you have the violently tight hip flexors typical of modern sedentary populations. Relax that psoas, and back bridges suddenly become amazing.

• GeoffreyLevens Said:
Me, I had AC separation about 30 years ago and sports medicine chirodoc said NEVER do dips. Also one exercise I don't remember which unfortunately. And I have found, doing dips does put that shoulder in heaps of pain for many days after. Great movement pattern though if you can do it.

Similarly, I've got a handful of age-old partial tears in both shoulders. Hanging makes the pain and grindy-ness disappear, but only after, as the good doctor Kirsch tells us in Shoulder Pain?, pushing through the initial pain. Curiously, dips do the same. After having removed them from my training for a few years, I read a Dave Tate article where he said slow, deep, 100%-controlled dips helped his horrifically mangled shoulders, and I gave it a shot, stayed at 1-3 reps for a while, and low and behold, my shoulders reorganized themselves and dips became pain-free.

Now, if someone has impingement or chronic dislocation laxity, that's a different story. But if it's tight chest/locked shoulder tissues causing pain, then dips aren't the problem, and they might actually be the solution. Of course YMMV, as they say.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Home

What's New | Weekly Columns | Weight Training Tips
General Nutrition | Draper History | Mag Cover Shots | Magazine Articles | Bodybuilding Q&A | Bomber Talk | Workout FAQs
Privacy Policy