Maffetone...and a clue -
davedraper.com home Home
This forum is closed as of March 2023.
Display Name Post: Maffetone...and a clue
A 03-26-20 06:32 PM - Post#896160    

• Browser Said:
  • Leo M Said:
I don't see a huge impact from higher intensity work like strength training (w/ respect to ketosis).

Leo

I can't lift heavy without carbs, even if the calories are equated. Anything less than 300g a day or so and I can feel it in the gym and I rarely go over 3 reps on anything. YMMV and all that, but I can't think of a single strong or jacked person that got that way without eating carbs, sometimes a LOT of carbs. They may have switched to lower carbs AFTER they got big and strong, like some of these guys are doing with veganism now, but it didn't get them that way.

I probably couldn't either. At 42, with various injuries from lifting, BJJ, and other sports, as well as a genetic heart condition (non-metabolic), lifting "heavy" is not my goal. That said, I strength train 3-4x/ week, and do Zone 2 trail running, hiking, or gym based work capacity efforts 3-4 days/ week, all completely fasted for anywhere between 16-20 hours. For instance, today I dragged a sled continuously for 60 straight minutes at the tail end of an 18 hour fast - I'm fairly fat adapted, so the length of the fast has become vapid provided I stay in Zone 2.

Obviously I'm in a different space than many people who are looking to dramatically improve. But it's interesting data, nonetheless.

FWIW - and I'm so self-conscious that I sound like Al Bundy and his Polk High days, I squatted 505 at a BW of 170 as a senior in high school; I still have my training logs and as a fat kid my whole life before that, I was <150g carbs most days, and often <100g. But that was 1995. So, go Polk High!

Leo
ATC Fitness

Edited by Leo M on 03-26-20 08:42 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Home

What's New | Weekly Columns | Weight Training Tips
General Nutrition | Draper History | Mag Cover Shots | Magazine Articles | Bodybuilding Q&A | Bomber Talk | Workout FAQs
Privacy Policy