Simple and Sinister Reviews -
davedraper.com home Home
This forum is closed as of March 2023.
Display Name Post: Simple and Sinister Reviews
A 01-29-20 07:00 PM - Post#893338    

• iPood Said:
  • leon79 Said:
I don't tend to post much and mostly follow these conversations for their educational value (listening to those of you who have "been there and done that" and know way more than I do about this subject), but I must admit it's still not clear to me why The Quick and the Dead is such a flawed program. I've played around with its parameters a bit and found it intriguing, but some of the comments have me concerned about going down that road.

Would someone care to explain its faults for someone who's "out of the loop?"

I don't think Q&D is flawed, but it's not a program I'm interested in (which is different from disliking it).

I'd rather do its precursor: Strength Aerobics.

Anyway, the science of it is well beyond my limited understanding , but I read this some time ago and found it interesting.

According to people who do the research and work with TdF cyclists, the way to build mitochondria is via Zone 2 cardio training, and it's got to be 3+ hours weekly, preferably more, to do so.

Peter Attia's podcast below, with Inigo San Millan, PhD, is extremely informative and worth the long listen.

https://peterattiamd.com/inigosanmillan/

Where this pokes holes into Pavel's Q&D stuff is here:
You have 3 muscle fiber types
Type 1
Type 2
Type 2b

Type 1 are chock full of mitochondria
Type 2 less so
Type 2b even less so.

Yet Q&D focues on the Type 2b.

Yet 5 or 10 'explosive' push ups isn't hitting your 2bs. Neither is 5-10 explosive swings.

That's very interesting. Thanks for writing that up.

Is the problem, then, that the program is fine but it doesn't really do what it's promising to do?

If so, that kind of explains my confusion, as my untrained eye was struggling to see a marked difference between it and other minimalist programs.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Home

What's New | Weekly Columns | Weight Training Tips
General Nutrition | Draper History | Mag Cover Shots | Magazine Articles | Bodybuilding Q&A | Bomber Talk | Workout FAQs
Privacy Policy