ES progression -
davedraper.com home Home
This forum is closed as of March 2023.
Display Name Post: ES progression
A 12-20-19 05:10 PM - Post#891619    

I had lunch (brunch) with two Olympians and we all agreed that the 8 week ES basic format was really helpful. It freed these guys up in the off-season to deal with all the other things (technical, tactical, whateveral) and just TCB (Take Care of Business for those who missed the 1960s).

At most, I think two rounds of the full ES a year would be about right. So, if you do decide to make it your center of your training, it makes total sense to me that you would add more here and there.

My advice for the guys today:

I reviewed "Now What?" and the importance of having clarity on the appropriate tension, arousal and heart rate when you compete. I called it the Golden Triangle and I wish I would have said that before...

Next, I went over the barbell complexes and I think that a few weeks (like three at most) of this to kick off the year/season would be a good idea. I gave them the Barbell Complex sheets.

Then, one round of ES working on the press, pull up (or variation) and a DL variation (plus carries and ab wheel)

A week OFF.

Then...well, it gets specific here, but I recommended to one to try the Transformation Program for up to six weeks. He has "all the numbers" so his issue isn't in the weightroom.

It's never in the weightroom any more.

So, in the real world of elite performance, ES's role is to nudge the athlete stronger, but not eat up a ton of recovery.
Daniel John
Just handing down what I was handed down...

Make a Difference.
Live. Love. Laugh.
Balance work, rest, play and pray (enjoy beauty and solitude)
Sleep soundly. Drink Water. Eat veggies and protein. Walk.
Wear your seat belt. Don’t smoke. Floss your teeth.
Put weights overhead. Pick weights off the floor. Carry weights.
Reread great books. Say thank you
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Home

What's New | Weekly Columns | Weight Training Tips
General Nutrition | Draper History | Mag Cover Shots | Magazine Articles | Bodybuilding Q&A | Bomber Talk | Workout FAQs
Privacy Policy