How much am I hindering myself by changing my workout frequently? -
davedraper.com home Home
This forum is closed as of March 2023.
Display Name Post: How much am I hindering myself by changing my workout frequently?
A 11-23-19 07:15 PM - Post#890707    

• Silverback61 Said:
  • iPood Said:
  • Silverback61 Said:
Also... You NEED to have goals.

I disagree.

As someone who embraced the park bench philosophy many, many, many moons ago, I've been training goallessly for a few years now.

The closest thing to a "goal" I have now is "try to train more often than not" and "have fun". Which is unclear on purpose and doesn't necessarily mean to lift loads of even follow a program.

Don't get me wrong, having goals is nice and makes easier to get from here to there, but I don't think they should be mandatory.

We will have to agree to disagree. All successful people set goals and go after them.
People that just want to doink around usually just end up chasing their tails.
Stay Strong!!

There are more than 300 dead bodies on Mount Everest. I can guarantee you that pretty much every single one used to belong to somebody who was deeply committed to a simple goal like "Climb Everest!" On the other hand, people who set more sensible goals often get better results. Something like this, for example: "Get back from Everest in once piece after climbing as high as I can get safely."

Once you start thinking about goals in that way, you will see that "enjoy varied strength training three times a week for the rest of my life" actually make perfect sense. Chasing arbitrary numbers might make sense if you are a top powerlifter, but it can also set the rest of us up for injury and pain.

If you want to do some more reading on this, look up process-orientated goals. There is lots of material on Google.
Check out my critical-thinking blog at sharpenyouraxe.substack.com

Edited by RupertC on 11-23-19 07:16 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Home

What's New | Weekly Columns | Weight Training Tips
General Nutrition | Draper History | Mag Cover Shots | Magazine Articles | Bodybuilding Q&A | Bomber Talk | Workout FAQs
Privacy Policy