Feedback on new program? -
davedraper.com home Home
This forum is closed as of March 2023.
Display Name Post: Feedback on new program?
A 11-14-19 04:52 PM - Post#890350    

Changing it up again because I'm facing the fact that my clean sucks! Heh... As the weight has increased a little, it has become much more of a vertical row. Two obvious reasons so the fix is in with my new program.

1) Deep, unconscious fear of dropping under the bar rapidly to catch it. I think maybe from two knee surgeries in a month about 20 years ago and long, brutal rehab.
2) Just not getting the timing right to get solid, powerful shove from upper thighs against bar

Fix for #1 is I've gone back to super light, basically bar (I have 5 foot, 20lb bar so have a ten and a 2 ½ on each end). Heavy enough to feel but plenty light enough to not feel threatening. I will very slowly increase weight, holding at same until comfortable.

Fix for #2 is having watched many and conflicting videos, many with garbage suggestions and drills (appalling really) I finally found the good stuff. You can't hardly beat and multiple champion

https://youtu.be/_3WeR9NdflI

Watching this in slo-mo, esp the parts already in slow motion, it becomes easy to see the specifics. That combined with the light weight and after 2nd session I feel like I am solidly on track.

So my current program is now
A) KB high pulls~ 30 sets of 8
B) TGUX10 alternating, Clean 5X5, Loaded carry X 2
C) TGUX10 alternating, Trapbar front squat (see below) 5X5, carry
D) Rest
Dead hang from bar total 2 minutes/daily
Walk daily 2-3 miles on average

Been noticing how much variation is available in how you set up lifting trapbar from the floor. Shin/hip/back angle can range from Romanian or stiff legged deadlift, to low bar back squat, to high bar, to front squat. I'm using stack of 10 lb plates+wood platform to lift from deficit so near ATG. Doing the touch and go. Hoping to strengthen my clean catching ability per video I saw of Dmitry Klokov recommending doing squats with super slow, as slow as possible, on the way down, fast back up.

I'm liking the whole thing and looking forward to the next day each time.

Edited by GeoffreyLevens on 11-14-19 04:53 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Home

What's New | Weekly Columns | Weight Training Tips
General Nutrition | Draper History | Mag Cover Shots | Magazine Articles | Bodybuilding Q&A | Bomber Talk | Workout FAQs
Privacy Policy