Feedback on new program? -
davedraper.com home Home
This forum is closed as of March 2023.
Display Name Post: Feedback on new program?
A 06-01-19 10:56 AM - Post#882929    

• vegpedlr Said:
Looks good to me. If it were me, I would do more classic push pull moves, but I realize your shoulder limits exercise selection.

I figure snatch is the pull. TGU seems to me mostly push, esp since I try to do the floor press explosively on the way up and verrrrry slowly for the negative on the way down. FSQ to balance the legs/posterior chain from the snatch. And the carries tie it all together. That's my theory anyway.

• vegpedlr Said:
So try it and see. In the meantime, how did the BB experiment go? What equipment did you settle on, what routine etc.

Probably a few more weeks before I actually start. I went to bb work because after months of subtle hints from Egoscue trainer I realized she was correct, that I didn't have the core stability to safely do kb ballistics. The circular/lateral component, coming out of the hole and catching the snatch drop (even though it is mostly vertical) were getting away from me just a bit. Boils down to lower cross syndrome that regular training was not addressing. Bought cheap iron (Gold's Gym plates). Also got CAP 5 foot barbell which fits nicely in my small apt bedroom space and with my short arms works fine for me. And a pair of CAP loadable dumbbell handles for carries etc. Played around a bit and decided that with those relatively fragile plates and more to the point, in a thin walled apt, dropping a loaded bar was best avoided as much as possible. Snatching a bar seems to me a lot more difficult than cleaning it, needs more precision and the lockout puts the weight a lot farther from your center. Anyway, I found that barbell cleans were fine with my core so what I"ve been doing is
*6 TGU's (alternating
*10 X clean, front squat, 3 presses (indicates disparity in strength of various body parts)
*2X5 Romanian DL's
*Loaded carries

Today as experiment I changed the clean/squat/press sets to 2 X 5 FSQ and 2 X 5 presses and it felt better.

Over the past months I've gotten stronger, gained some visible muscle, and almost but not quite cleared up the lower cross issue. Soon as that feels solid, the kb phase will start. Just a couple days ago, when walking I suddenly noticed that I felt more "stacked" in the field of gravity, that my pelvis and torso were spontaneously better aligned. And I think the same day or day before, I noticed that something I'd been struggling with for months was happening automatically. That is getting and maintaining solid tension in glutes and abs when catching the clean, and most noticeably when pressing overhead. I've had a tendency to let my lower abs go slack as soon as I load up with something. Egoscue helped but I really think doing EMDR w/ psychotherapist around very early infancy medical trauma was a key piece of the puzzle.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Home

What's New | Weekly Columns | Weight Training Tips
General Nutrition | Draper History | Mag Cover Shots | Magazine Articles | Bodybuilding Q&A | Bomber Talk | Workout FAQs
Privacy Policy