Dan John - 40 Years with a Whistle -
davedraper.com home Home
This forum is closed as of March 2023.
Display Name Post: Dan John - 40 Years with a Whistle
A 05-28-19 05:18 PM - Post#882753    

As promised, here is my Book review that I intend to Post on Amazon Australia. Word for word.

Dan John is a Man of many talents. He is an experienced & respected Educator, Philosopher, Writer, Student & Traveller. He is also a devoted Husband, Father, Athlete with State Championship records, Adventurer & world renowned Strength Coach. The Author has had many Life experiences, had his share of Ups & Downs, discovered key learnings, had good times & bad, gone through Money worries, lonliness, self-doubt, sleep deprivation, success, happiness & Childhood challenges that could have filled 2 Lifetimes let alone 62 years.

This Book, “40 Years with a Whistle”, is the Author’s honest attempt to capture all his worldly advice, trials & tribulations in 330 pages, with his many years of Parenting, teaching,Coaching & competing.
The Book is neatly broken into 3 main parts. 1 ) “Commandments”, 2) “Appreciating those who went before”, 3) “What I know now”

You will discover early the amount of positive Role models & Mentors that My John was fortunate enough to have had growing up in California. From Sister Maria with her “Rest, Play, Work, Pray” to Dick Notmeyer & his “ Leg strength, Pull strength, tranquil mind” keys to John Powell & Bill Witt’s yearly Discus Camps, it is evident that Mr John was truly Blessed with wonderful & positive influences that shaped his life for the better & made him the very Man he is, for the Decades to come. Mr John does his utmost to pay homage to these “Life changers” with their quotes, mannerisms & stories that will interest the Reader to the very end. In return, the Author does his best to “hand down the baton” to those who are willing enough & smart enough to listen & learn.

“40 Years with a Whistle” travels through many Chapters, each with a unique Story or Key Message that the Reader would be unwise to ignore. From Dan’s “10 Greatest mistakes” (Yes, Crossfit is one of them) to “ 10 Commandments of Teaching” the pages are turned quickly & once you’ve commenced, very hard to put down.

Mr John’s life journey hasn’t always been paved with Gold. – From an Alcoholic father, to working 3 jobs including Night shifts , to having money issues, battling lonliness, coaching, injuries & Marriage strains, this could have led the Author down another road, but, he “Never let go” of his Goals, ambition or the Big Picture, making him into a much sort after Strength Coach, Teacher & Writer in the world today.

For the budding weight lifters & strength enthusiasts who have grown up with Dan John, I don’t believe you will be disappointed. There is more than enough “pearls of wisdom” sprinkled throughout the book to keep your appetite satisfied. The author shares with you his Game changers, biggest mistakes & various programmes that not only work but have stood the test of time. Although, this is not like previous “Dan John” books with laid out instructions, sets & reps, you will walk away much wiser & Mind much the clearer after reading “ 40 years with a Whistle.”

There are a host of programmes that are discussed in fleeting detail that will cover your training needs forever. Programmes & ideas such as
- Dan John’s Transformation Programme
- Humane Burpee
- One Lift a day
- Pavel’s “Rite of Passage’
- Mass Made simple
- Easy strength
- Kettlebell’s
- 100 rep challenges
- 10 000 swing & other swing variations
- 40 day Workout programme

Not to mention Tim Anderson & his “ Original strength” all in the 1 book….Wow.

It is very hard to find fault with “40 years with a Whistle’ or offer points for improvement but as a “ Rugby Diehard”, I would loved to have heard the Author elaborate more with his time supporting Connaught Rugby & offer more of his thoughts on the Game.

If you see yourself as a Manager, Leader, Teacher or future Sports Coach, then this book is for you. Personally, I could relate to many of these Stories outlined in the book as I am currently managing a work team with various strengths & weaknesses.

This is a book I will proudly hand down to my Son when he enters Manhood in the years to come. “40 years with a Whistle” will still have the same relevance in 30 to 40yrs now than it does today. In short, it will “Age” well.

This is a book you will read more than once because of the enormous amount of tidbits/quotes strewn throughout the Pages that you will need to continually thumb through to recall, like “4 F’s” of Life lessons to Earl Nightingale’s meaning of “Success”. In fact, I strongly recommend you keep “40 years with a whistle” on your favourite coffee table so you can access it at your leisure.

Andrew Gunn,
Proud Dan John Forum Member
Former “Reserve Grade Rugby player”
Amateur Sprinter
Avid Bushwalker, Nature lover, dog lover & Body surfer
Husband, father
& regular Hill sprint enthusiast.

Edited by Gunny72 on 05-28-19 10:38 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Home

What's New | Weekly Columns | Weight Training Tips
General Nutrition | Draper History | Mag Cover Shots | Magazine Articles | Bodybuilding Q&A | Bomber Talk | Workout FAQs
Privacy Policy