History of Powerlifting - Dr. Ken -
davedraper.com home Home
This forum is closed as of March 2023.
Display Name Post: History of Powerlifting - Dr. Ken
A 06-09-09 12:01 AM - Post#558319    

• zim or sarah Said:
Thank you Laree, I love these writings. I grew up going to the old downtown YMCA back in the days when all us guys had to swim nude, and the weights were in a little room in the basement. Off limits to us little kids! I really don't think todays generation can even start to imagine what the 60s gyms were like. Almost lost to time I think. zim

Right on! When I first walked in the San Jose YMCA in 1960, a fairly new building, I could have been in heaven for just that weight room. After high school, three of us went on to develop a garage gym in Sunnyvale - Bob's Garage. Bob went on to set the last Olympic press record in the Pan Am Games in 1971 with 418. That simple little garage was soon being visited by outstanding lifters and bodybuilders - John Gourgott, John Corvello, Craig Whitehead, Mike Dadigan and many others.

I doubt youngsters today could imagine Gold's from the late 60s through the 70s, or other 'state of the art' gyms of that time. Thanks to the Nautilus Quick Fix gyms of the late 70s onward, the age of the machine came to be - along with the age of physical decline.

I hear tell youngsters now equate training and fitness with those wii things. Jeez, gimme a break.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Home

What's New | Weekly Columns | Weight Training Tips
General Nutrition | Draper History | Mag Cover Shots | Magazine Articles | Bodybuilding Q&A | Bomber Talk | Workout FAQs
Privacy Policy