500 dips per day? -
davedraper.com home Home
This forum is closed as of March 2023.
Display Name Post: 500 dips per day?
A 01-31-09 02:49 AM - Post#523595    

• Wicked Willie Said:
...Excessive pushing motions can set up a strength imbalance in your shoulders, as well as contribute to inflexibility. You need to at least match your pushing rep for rep with pulling...even better is 2:1 pull/push ratio.

You're getting some good advice with these guys here. After learning the hard way, my doc says I can even go 5:1 on Pulling:Pushing to try & un-do the damage I've done (I stopped working chest for about a year because my chest-muscles were so tight that they were helping to pull my arms out of socket) -- MAKE YOUR BACK TIGHTER THAN YOUR CHEST (Dr Franco Columbo stated this same thing many years ago but I didn't listen then ).

If you're doing the push-up type of "dips," then try some bent-over rowing motion (1-arm & 2-arms versions -- focus on squeezing your shoulder-blades in towards your spine, as if bringing your blades together in the 2-arms version) because pull-ups probably won't do it for you (in part because I don't think you're going to be able to do enough of 'em daily to counter 500 dips... but feel free to try).

My recommendation since you've already admitted to shoulder-pain (& there's a clue for you) is to STOP dipping/pressing-exercise s for awhile & just start pulling until your shoulders start feeling alright, then do at least a 2:1 ratio of Pull:Push when you resume your pressing exercises.

Bad shoulders aren't easily remedied, esp. if you keep abusing or re-injuring them... You could even use part or all use of an arm (or 2) temporarily or permanently if you keep mistreating your shoulders. Minor muscle-pains can be a good thing , but generally joint-pains are a bad thing.

Take Care & Good Luck.

P.S.: I'm reminded of a buddy-of-mine's experience with a Filipino stick-fighting move called (phonetically) a "Woo-Tick." It's a simple flick-of-the-wrist technique that my buddy's instructor said could be mastered by practicing it 100 times a day until 10,000 reps were completed (I was there & heard this); well my buddy -- already an experienced martial-artist -- decided to speed-up this process by doing 1,000 a day... soon he destroyed his wrists & has had problems ever since (he never made it to the 10,000th rep because he did too much daily & injured himself royally)
2009 Motto: Thinking Positive, Being Positive
"Start out easy & don't compete against anyone but yourself." -- Steve Reeves
"...work up to the number of repetitions that you feel necessary to do the trick. Don't hold yourself down to any hidebound number of repetitions." -- George F. Jowett
"Weight training is successful when you perservere." -- Mike Dayton

Edited by Marooned Mike on 01-31-09 04:00 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Home

What's New | Weekly Columns | Weight Training Tips
General Nutrition | Draper History | Mag Cover Shots | Magazine Articles | Bodybuilding Q&A | Bomber Talk | Workout FAQs
Privacy Policy