History of Powerlifting - Dr. Ken -
davedraper.com home Home
This forum is closed as of March 2023.
Display Name Post: History of Powerlifting - Dr. Ken
A 10-09-08 09:53 PM - Post#490520    

What a great article by a gentleman with a sterling reputation.

If you like Dr Ken's writing along with that of Dave and Dick Tyler, then Randy Roach's new book will keep you up reading all night for a couple of weeks - Muscle, Smoke and Mirrors, volume 1, about 550 pages covering the things from the mid 19th century through the sixties - volume 2 is due out next year and covers the rest up to now.

Closing in on fifty years in the Irongame, I must confess to being a sucker for historical works. There just aren't enough of them to suit my tastes. Roach's work staggers my imagination - his range of coverage is so thorough.

I think of Dr Ken in that respect - he's in the book, by the way, along with Dave. Both bodybuilding, powerlifting and chiropracty were looked on as strange, certainly marginal for much of the 20th century. And they had there roots in Physical Culture, a movement stressing prevention of illness through healthy living (diet, working out, etc), and were ruthlessly persecuted by the cartel of monopolistic interests in orthodox medicine (disease and emergency oriented), pharmaceutical corporations, insurance companies, and the Food and Drug Administration as security police for Big Pharm and Big Food (denatured, unhealthy stuff). That makes Dr Ken a heroic pioneering figure in much of his life. How fortunate we are that he, Dave, and others are keeping our history alive and passing its torch of wisdom and lore to succeeding generations. It doesn't get much better.

Marianne's ice cream - jeez, it's been 16 years since I left the Bay Area, Marianne's doing fairly well then while much of Santa Cruz was just rebuilding from the Loma Prieta earthquake. That's incredible ice cream.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Home

What's New | Weekly Columns | Weight Training Tips
General Nutrition | Draper History | Mag Cover Shots | Magazine Articles | Bodybuilding Q&A | Bomber Talk | Workout FAQs
Privacy Policy