Gironda Bench Press to Neck -
davedraper.com home Home
This forum is closed as of March 2023.
Display Name Post: Gironda Bench Press to Neck
A 06-28-07 08:01 AM - Post#316959    

An exercise doesn't have to hurt 100% of the people that use it to be a bad idea. Neck presses are just like cigarettes.

There are people who will say "I've been smoking for 20 years and I don't have lung cancer." That is great and I sincerely hope they never get it, but it is a lousy logic to say that means cigarettes are fine.

Likewise, just because some people have no problems with neck presses to date, doesn't mean they're not a problem. Of course, nobody dies from a torn rotator cuff so it's not that big a deal!

But still, it is no day at the beach. Far more lifters get rotator cuff problems than smokers get lung cancer - it's not some remote possibility.

Based on even a basic understanding of the mechanics of the shoulder - something that is pretty common knowledge today, but NOT the case in Vince G's day - in most people, the extreme internal rotation is going to cause impingement and saw away at that rotator cuff.

Also like the cigarettes, you might get some early warning signs that something's amiss, and it might just blow out one day.
The most important test a lifter has to pass
is the test of time.
-Jon Cole
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Home

What's New | Weekly Columns | Weight Training Tips
General Nutrition | Draper History | Mag Cover Shots | Magazine Articles | Bodybuilding Q&A | Bomber Talk | Workout FAQs
Privacy Policy