Diagnosing and Rehab of Back Pain -
davedraper.com home Home
This forum is closed as of March 2023.
Display Name Post: Diagnosing and Rehab of Back Pain
A 04-09-06 06:51 PM - Post#199296    

Recently, I mentioned that I had very restricted external rotation and that I thought it was a "natural" joint limitation. garyed and ccrow both disagreed with me, saying that I simply lacked flexibility. ccrow recommended stretching my pecs and my subscapularis.

Since I was already stretching my pecs, I decided to add ccrow's recommended subscapularis stretch:
http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/Subscapularis/Broomstick.html

I was skeptical, but started it. I could notice a minor increase in flexibility after the first day! I planned on waiting at least a month before reporting any results to the forum, because it had taken me several months to get my hamstrings stretched almost the way I wanted. But in less than one week I had gotten amazing results and PM'd Byron a brief thank-you.

In less than two weeks I'm able to hold an unloaded bar across my shoulders with no pain! I can reach up much higher when washing my back in the shower! My shoulders feel better in general! May I say YIPPEE!!!

For a broomstick, I used an aluminum shower curtain rod, which I eventually padded with foam where it crossed my arm. This subscapularis stretch has worked quickly and well. (Even though I've got quite a ways to go with it yet.)

Now, here's a coincidence. Before Laree started this thread, I couldn't help thinking that if a tight muscle had led me to believe that I had a restricted joint, why not other tight muscles doing bad things in other places? 26 years of leaning over an inspection bench had given me a forward-protruding head and an upper thoracic-slump. (Kyphosis, maybe?) If gravity induced it, maybe gravitiy could reverse it. So, I started laying back on a mat with my padded Top Squat beneath me. The handles make it easy to shift up and down my back for a series of one-minute gravity stretches. For variety, I use a foam cylinder which I cut from a child's pool toy. Already, it's slightly working. It's a little premature to say, but at 66 I may end up taller than I've been for a decade!

Laird
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Home

What's New | Weekly Columns | Weight Training Tips
General Nutrition | Draper History | Mag Cover Shots | Magazine Articles | Bodybuilding Q&A | Bomber Talk | Workout FAQs
Privacy Policy