Unexpected place for a pivot discussion -
davedraper.com home Home
This forum is closed as of March 2023.
Display Name Post: Unexpected place for a pivot discussion
A 09-02-21 10:59 AM - Post#913005    

• BrianBinVA Said:
Meh -- I just find running to be unnecessary and injurious (to me).

Back when I wasn't closed every second day with my state in semi-permanent lockdown, essentially all the males under 50 who came to me said one of two things: either "I got up to 90-110kg squat and then backed off to work on form... that was two years ago," or "I hurt my back deadlifting." Most told me it was something inherent in the movement or their body which made heavier or less injurious lifts possible.

I'm getting a similar sensation here.

• Quoting:
Some people (e.g., my wife) are good runners, and some (me) are not. The ones who are not, running can lead to some bad outcomes.

Like I said, a score of +0 indicates either health problems now or in the future. And you report health problems of joint issues, so there you go.

But if you don't want to run, don't run - your body, your choice. I'd be very surprised if you can't - but if you don't want to, don't. But at least be bloody good at lifting instead.

Likewise, if someone doesn't want to lift - they'd best be bloody good at running.

• Mr. Kent Said:
Will you be releasing the finished version here any time soon? And when I say finished version I mean the complete 'scoring guide'. For example, what are the 5k times for each quadrant, etc.

There's no mystery, mate. It's just the WR numbers, with the caveat that it's middleweight women and men in the open age group. If you're bigger than middleweight you'll lift more, probably, but run and jump less. Smaller, other way around. So I just compare to the middleweight.

And I do open age rather than by class because as you get older you come into the issue of a lack of participation - there are not many 80yo women, for example, who deadlift, nor who cover 5km at any speed, let alone who do both. And if we asked them to jump their doctor would appear from behind a bush to tell them not to.

What standard should we choose for them? I previously noted that athletic performance doesn't drop off as much as we might expect with age. You've got to get to a 70yo woman and 85yo man before you get 50% the performance of the open class for marathons and powerlifting, and 85yo woman and 95yo man before you get 50% of the best performance for 100m sprint.

But here are the open numbers, anyway.

Women
DL WR for 63kg class = 221kg; 0-55 scores +0, 56-111 scores +1, 112-166 scores +2, 167+ scores +3
5km WR 14'07"; 56'20" up, 28'10" to 56'19", 18'46" to 28'09", under 18'45"
Standing broad jump WR = 3m; 0-0.75, 0.80-1.5, 1.55-2.25, 2.30+

Men
DL WR for 83kg class = 331kg; 0-83, 84-166, 167-248, 249+
5km WR 12'35"; 50'20" up, 25'10" to 50'19", 16'46" to 25'09", under 16'46"
Standing broad jump WR = 4m; 0-1, 1.05-2, 2.05-3, 3.05+

However in practice I don't think a few kg or seconds here or there are relevant for health (though very relevant for performance), so I just round it to,

Deadlift = multiple of 60 (women) or 80 (men), rounding down
5km = 54'+, 27-54', 18-27', under 18'
Jump = each multiple of 0.75 (women) or 1 (men), rounding down

I've trained a few people who scored +6 between these three qualities, no higher. Of those I've trained who started at +0, those under 50 can do +3 in their first 3-6 months, though the over-50s take 12-24 months instead. Most stay there, though some push one of the qualities and get a total of +4. Diminishing returns, and all that.
Athletic Club East
Strength in numbers
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Home

What's New | Weekly Columns | Weight Training Tips
General Nutrition | Draper History | Mag Cover Shots | Magazine Articles | Bodybuilding Q&A | Bomber Talk | Workout FAQs
Privacy Policy