High-tension KB complex program -
davedraper.com home Home
This forum is closed as of March 2023.
Display Name Post: High-tension KB complex program
A 03-23-21 04:01 PM - Post#909039    

Hey everybody,

I've been working on this program of complexes and I think it's got potential.

Let me know what you think if you give it a try.

Warm-up (1 or more rounds, no more than 3 rounds):
-Goblet squats with prying
-Batwing rows with isometric top hold-and-squeezes
-Band lateral walks for glutes
-Other stuff optional (pull-up hangs, etc), lifts with a stretch component like Romanian deadlifts with a bottom hold work well, but try not to get too bogged down in the warm-up.

Complex 1:
-Double kettlebell clean (start with one rep, then add one additional rep each round*)
-Double kettlebell press x 1 (go heavy for you but manageable for multiple rounds, I'm using 28kg 'bells)
-Double kettlebell rack carry
-Rest or active rest to recharge your press (glute bridges, hip thrusts, or band walks would be a good option)

*Example: Round 1, clean x 1, press x 1, rack carry, rest/active rest. Round 2, clean x 2, press x 1, rack carry, rest/active rest. Round 3, clean x 3, press x 1, rack carry, rest/active rest...etc.

Perform the first complex until you're pretty sure you can't grind out another press, then move onto complex 2, non-dominant side first:

-One-handed kettlebell swing x 5-10
-Single kettlebell rack carry
-One-handed kettlebell front squat x 3-5
-Single kettlebell press x 5 or AMRAP
-Repeat with same reps on dominant side before rest, active rest, or calling it a day

(It should be pretty clear but you'll need a lighter 'bell for complex 2.)

Notes and observations:

Complex 1 is actually pretty good in a grease the groove type role (in which case you should probably stay with a single clean only, or maybe try doubles). It is based on the idea of maximizing tension across multiple movements, kind of intended to do for the shoulders and delts what the Armor Building Complex does for the inner tube.

Complex 2 is good as a finisher for this or other workouts. If you are planning on doing multiple rounds the 5,3,5 rep scheme is the best bet, but if you're going for one round and done, try the 10,5,AMRAP variation.

Optionally, for another separate training session to alternate with the above:

-2,3,5... double KB presses
-Glute activation and hypertrophy movements (band walks, thrusts, bridges, clamshells, etc)
-Deltoid hypertrophy single-joint movements of choice such as front raises, lateral raises, rear delt raises, T-Y-Is, etc (optional)

Edited by conwict on 03-23-21 04:13 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Home

What's New | Weekly Columns | Weight Training Tips
General Nutrition | Draper History | Mag Cover Shots | Magazine Articles | Bodybuilding Q&A | Bomber Talk | Workout FAQs
Privacy Policy