Calf and Achilles strength standards -
davedraper.com home Home
This forum is closed as of March 2023.
Display Name Post: Calf and Achilles strength standards
A 11-19-20 01:05 PM - Post#904770    

5 sets of 5.

The split squats have a 3-second pause at the bottom, like a momentary yoga pose. The seated good mornings I only pause for a second or so, and mostly focus on pushing my legs out ("spreading the taint" as Ed Coan called it) while I'm acquiring the mobility to get my chest to the bench. This is the great "knot" in my body that I've spent years fighting.

Lots of Internet folks call this "end-range strength" training these days, I think. There's something intuitive about it. When it comes to hamstring flexibility, no one actually wants to hold a pike for 2 minutes. They want the ability to hinge down, slap the floor, and pop up, without injury. But they never actually do that. Instead of slowly building/strengthening through consistent easy knee touches, toe touches, knuckle touches, and full pikes, they hold a pose for 2 minutes and expect to hammer through the limitation.

Holding a pose for two minutes might make you good at holding a pose, but for me, it's been a very poor way of acquiring the ability to move (with speed, strength, and athleticism).
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Home

What's New | Weekly Columns | Weight Training Tips
General Nutrition | Draper History | Mag Cover Shots | Magazine Articles | Bodybuilding Q&A | Bomber Talk | Workout FAQs
Privacy Policy